Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running a Sportster tank. Petcock hits frame. Notch frame? or Relocate Petcock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running a Sportster tank. Petcock hits frame. Notch frame? or Relocate Petcock?

Here are some pictures of what I'm running into:

Only place I can think that would work to relocate the petcock would be where the "X" is. I'm sure thats not the most efficient place to put it. but its all I could come up with.

Thanks for the help!

May be a bit tricky to do, but why not out the side right in line with where it is now? Patch the hole in the bottom and reweld the threads to the side as low as is possible.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

DOn't know about efficiency but you certainly won't use all the gas in the tank with it in that spot...
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        May be a bit tricky to do, but why not out the side right in line with where it is now? Patch the hole in the bottom and reweld the threads to the side as low as is possible.
        I dont understand

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
          DOn't know about efficiency but you certainly won't use all the gas in the tank with it in that spot...
          I realize that, only spot I could think of that wouldn't interfer with the frame.

Comment

Get a real gas tank.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Get a real gas tank.
              I researched time and time again for a replacement tank... Either way tooo much money or too beat up. I like the look of the sportster tank, and it only cost my $80. Im trying to stay on budget

Comment

Well...I saw that someone had already done some welding on the bottom.

So that sparked the idea of cutting thenthreads for the petcock out of the bottom and welding a patch over the hole.

Now relocate the threads for the petcock to the rear and lowest prtion, but have it stick out the side of the tank. But then I realised that would look kinda wired and be awkward for the legs.

I am not a big fan of frame cutting, but i suppose that some bracing behind the petcock once positioned could be fabbed in.
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  Well...I saw that someone had already done some welding on the bottom.

So that sparked the idea of cutting thenthreads for the petcock out of the bottom and welding a patch over the hole.

Now relocate the threads for the petcock to the rear and lowest prtion, but have it stick out the side of the tank. But then I realised that would look kinda wired and be awkward for the legs.

I am not a big fan of frame cutting, but i suppose that some bracing behind the petcock once positioned could be fabbed in.
                  I understand now. Basically patch the existing hole, and have a petcock bung welded to the side of the tank, and run it off that. Would that effect anything with the petcock being mounted vertically rather than horizonally?

Comment

I am pretty much with tkent on this one. You really should have a better tank on there.

You already have an "L" model bike, the tank isn't that much different shape than a Sportster. The Sportster tank is designed to sit on a frame with a single backbone and all it has to do is hold a gallon or so of gas. The Suzuki tank has a tunnel that is large enough and shaped properly to sit over all three of the backbone tubes, and hide all the coils and some of the wiring in the process.

You say you like the "look" of the tank, how do you feel about seeing all that stuff under it?

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

As long as its as low as possible and to the rear..which is the lowest part of the tank, then all it needs to do is allow the fuel to drain as low as possible from the tank.

But as i rethought, it will be sticking out and might be a problem when sitting on the bike for your legs hitting it.

As far as if the petcock is horizontal or verticle...its gonna work regardless. Its just an on /off deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        I am pretty much with tkent on this one. You really should have a better tank on there.

You already have an "L" model bike, the tank isn't that much different shape than a Sportster. The Sportster tank is designed to sit on a frame with a single backbone and all it has to do is hold a gallon or so of gas. The Suzuki tank has a tunnel that is large enough and shaped properly to sit over all three of the backbone tubes, and hide all the coils and some of the wiring in the process.

You say you like the "look" of the tank, how do you feel about seeing all that stuff under it?

It don't bother me. Its gonna be far from a show bike.

I think it looks good:
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2013, 04:54 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

good job.

Comment

...so fill us in on your solution...

Comment

Sportster tank.

Personally i can't get behind compromising the frame in order to use a compromising 2.2 Gallon tank. If you have your heart set on the early sporty piece, couldn't you weld a supply pipe in the bottom (at whatever angle you need for clearance) and use an inline on/off valve and filter? I plan on using a cx500 custom tank and the bung is close to a carb, so I'm going to use a 90 to get by it and then do just that. Just have to remember to shut it off.

Comment

Working...
                              X