Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running a Sportster tank. Petcock hits frame. Notch frame? or Relocate Petcock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NatiKiD View Post
    It don't bother me. Its gonna be far from a show bike.

I think it looks good:
    You aren't going to find a lot of folks on here that like the peanut tank/frisco look. You might try a king sporty tank, with the petcock relocated to the rear of the tank an inside the frame tube.

Comment

Originally posted by drenfro22 View Post
      You aren't going to find a lot of folks on here that like the peanut tank/frisco look.
      I think I remember seeing something either earlier in this thread on on another one, that he is not building this bike for us, he is doing it for himself.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        I think I remember seeing something either earlier in this thread on on another one, that he is not building this bike for us, he is doing it for himself.

I don't have a problem with it at all. I was just letting him know that people will voice their opinion on gas tanks pretty clearly. There seem to be pretty few guys on here that like the bobber/chopper look. I am not one of them. But for technical info, I've yet to find a better place.

Here is mine mocked up now. It's the only tank I have/can afford at the moment.

Comment

I don't have a problem with it at all. I was just letting him know that people will voice their opinion on gas tanks pretty clearly.
          Well, this thread has been going for 3 1/2 weeks and had 17 replies. The most negative reply was tkent, who merely said "Get a real tank." If anyone wanted to say anything negative, they have had plenty of opportunity.

Some of us realize that not everybody has the same tastes (thankfully ) so what we do will not necessarily please everybody else. Heck, it might not even please anybody else, but so what, it's our bike, not theirs.

He came here for some help to overcome a petcock placement problem and has evidently found his solution, as he has let me know that he has taken it out for a short shake-down cruise.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That's cool, I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers. I love looking at everyone's bikes on here in any style. And I am learning a ton.

Comment

I have an '80 1100L tank in good shape with a cap and key. Tell me what you can afford to pay for it.
              '83 GS 1100T
              The Jet

sigpic
              '95 GSXR 750w
              The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

You aren't going to find a lot of folks on here that like the peanut tank/frisco look. You might try a king sporty tank, with the petcock relocated to the rear of the tank an inside the frame tube.
                I dont care what other think about my bike... Its my bike

Comment

Already under control. Only way I could do it without modding the frame. works fine. Sucks going from a 2.5 gallon tank, to about a 2 gallon tank because of the petcock being on the side..but I don't care. This the style I like

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Well, this thread has been going for 3 1/2 weeks and had 17 replies. The most negative reply was tkent, who merely said "Get a real tank." If anyone wanted to say anything negative, they have had plenty of opportunity.

Some of us realize that not everybody has the same tastes (thankfully ) so what we do will not necessarily please everybody else. Heck, it might not even please anybody else, but so what, it's our bike, not theirs.

He came here for some help to overcome a petcock placement problem and has evidently found his solution, as he has let me know that he has taken it out for a short shake-down cruise.

Thank you Steve

Comment

Cool, good solution!

Was it a mission to get it relocated and airtight?

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post
                        Cool, good solution!

Was it a mission to get it relocated and airtight?
                        No sir. I just grinded off the old pet cock bung. Found a spot on the side of the tank I fell would work the best.. Then I have a buddy who owns a shop in northern KY who builds BMW race cars.. and he is one hell of a welder. Be basically tig welded a piece of round sheet metal to the bottom. Then he drilled a hole on the side of the tank and tig welded a harely replacement petcock bung on the side. He showed me intercooler piping he did on a customers of his car that smashed a wall at 80mph.. the pipe broke.. his welds didnt.

Comment

Sporty tank.

There's no account for taste,

Comment

Working...
                          X