Rearset Plate Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rearset Plate Question

So, I am planning on having rearsets for my GS650g. I haven't really seen anybody who has done it on a 650, but I want to. I love that riding position much more, especially since I already have Clubman bars

Now, my question is where should I go to fabricate it? I do not have the tools nor the know how to fabricate these brackets. I will make a template out of a sheet of plexi but, where do I go from there? I don't know of too many machine shops around me. Should I try to fabricate them myself? I don't think I have every tool needed but I may have most at my disposal.

Basically:
    -Should I make my own? no prior knowledge or experience/limited tools
    -Where would I go to get them made?
    -What metal should it be made out of?
    -Any recommendations for a machine shop of some sort?
    -Anyone want to do it for me? haha

Before you try to MAKE them, you may want to try BUYING them. Fast From The Past has individual parts for Tarozzi rearsets, including the brackets. They may have mode-specific brackets for your bike and they are pretty cheap, if I remember.

Comment

I made my own out of 1/4" aluminum plate. Cut out a guide with cardboard. Then used a jig saw to cut the aluminum. I used the original mount locations on the frame to orient them. Can check them out on my build thread.
      83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Originally posted by Road Rash View Post
        Before you try to MAKE them, you may want to try BUYING them. Fast From The Past has individual parts for Tarozzi rearsets, including the brackets. They may have mode-specific brackets for your bike and they are pretty cheap, if I remember.
        $60 for each plate, and I'd have to drill them ruining any possibility of return if they don't work/fit well. I think I'll pass

Originally posted by niclpnut View Post
        I made my own out of 1/4" aluminum plate. Cut out a guide with cardboard. Then used a jig saw to cut the aluminum. I used the original mount locations on the frame to orient them. Can check them out on my build thread.
        Were they just small mounts for the 2 holes where the original pegs went? Or did you cover the whole bracket that the pegs were originally mounted on?

PS recommendations on rearsets from other models I should be looking at? I will probably just get some GSxR or R6 rearsets.

I just looked ar the RAASK rearsets vs the Tarozzi ones and RAASK uses the whole bracket there (that black wing looking piece on the frame).

Comment

For the 1100 I used the original pegs mount and where the passenger bracket mounts. Not sure how the 650 pegs are oriented.

90 1100 rearsets here. They were the easiest as the only have two mount holes. The later years have 3.
          Last edited by niclpnut; 03-23-2013, 02:27 PM.
          83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

For the 1100 I used the original pegs mount and where the passenger bracket mounts

90 1100 rearsets here. They were the easiest as the only have two mount holes. The later years have 3.
            Would be a bad idea if I just... Well, drilled into the plate the footpegs mount? I'd need to take measurements and mock it up to where my legs enjoy being but isn't that a possibility?

If I have to, I'll try to just use one of the existing holes and drill one.

Comment

How sturdy is the 1/4 aluminum?

Bonehead, you can get 6160 aluminum remnants (usually squares) on eBay for cheap. I'm gonna pick up some, its like$9 for a 6x6 plate that is 1/4 inch. Its a few bucks more for 1/2 inch.

Comment

I'm using 1/2" for mine... pretty nasty if that breaks as it will break at a time when you are most using it for support (i.e. you have all your weight on it...)
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Bone, I mentioned the bought ones for two reasons: 1-According to your original post, it sounded like you didn't have the facilities and knowhow to tackle the job, DIY, and 2-If you choose to utilize the factory peg mounts to mount the brackets, chances are there is a height offset between both sides that you have to account for. I know on my 750, the holes on one side are lower than the other side. Pics of the Tarozzi brackets verify that. So, I had to figure out just how much the difference was, so that my sets weren't lopsided, from one side to the other. Not as simple as simply making two mirrored brackets. If you fab your own, just be aware of that possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                    How sturdy is the 1/4 aluminum?

Bonehead, you can get 6160 aluminum remnants (usually squares) on eBay for cheap. I'm gonna pick up some, its like$9 for a 6x6 plate that is 1/4 inch. Its a few bucks more for 1/2 inch.
                    Could you show me a link? I looked up and did not find it. I could be stupid, but hey. I just got back from work and doing a psych paper... I'm tired

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    I'm using 1/2" for mine... pretty nasty if that breaks as it will break at a time when you are most using it for support (i.e. you have all your weight on it...)
                    I was gonna say I think I will use 1/2 inch just in case. I am about 205lbs so... The sturdier the better

Originally posted by Road Rash View Post
                    Bone, I mentioned the bought ones for two reasons: 1-According to your original post, it sounded like you didn't have the facilities and knowhow to tackle the job, DIY, and 2-If you choose to utilize the factory peg mounts to mount the brackets, chances are there is a height offset between both sides that you have to account for. I know on my 750, the holes on one side are lower than the other side. Pics of the Tarozzi brackets verify that. So, I had to figure out just how much the difference was, so that my sets weren't lopsided, from one side to the other. Not as simple as simply making two mirrored brackets. If you fab your own, just be aware of that possibility.
                    Ah gotcha. Well, it all depends on my budget. I would love to spring for some RAASK or Tarozzis but... It's a lot of money

Its not necessarily the knowhow, but more like the facilities. I think if I just got a bit of 1/2 inch aluminum I could fabricate a bracket pretty easily. It may not look pretty, but it will work. I can cut it down/make it look better further down the road.

Question: If I do go for the used rearsets, would I keep the MC assembly on the rearset, or replace the OEM one in the frame? JW because that just occurred to me.

Comment

Here's a 4x4 1/2 piece:

There are other sellers but this guy has a bunch of stuff.

Comment

Just a thought, but try using plywood for your mock-ups. Cheaper and easier to work than plexiglass. You could even use cardboard, but then you can't really put too much weight on them to test the position.

In terms of fabrication, if you use some aluminum plate, let's say 3/8 as a comprimise, it's easy. All you need is a band saw, drill press, and a bench grinder to do a really nice job. You could call machine shops, but I would start by putting an ad in craigslist explaining what you need done, and see if anyone who has the tools wants to make $50. I would put the ad in the motorcycle section, and you're bound to find a 'bike guy' who's willing to help out (and take your money).

Cover the plates with masking tape on both sides to protect them, then draw the layout on the tape and mark the location of the holes. I'm pretty sure you can get this done pretty easily.

Comment

Originally posted by kawfeedave View Post
                          Just a thought, but try using plywood for your mock-ups. Cheaper and easier to work than plexiglass. You could even use cardboard, but then you can't really put too much weight on them to test the position.

In terms of fabrication, if you use some aluminum plate, let's say 3/8 as a comprimise, it's easy. All you need is a band saw, drill press, and a bench grinder to do a really nice job. You could call machine shops, but I would start by putting an ad in craigslist explaining what you need done, and see if anyone who has the tools wants to make $50. I would put the ad in the motorcycle section, and you're bound to find a 'bike guy' who's willing to help out (and take your money).

Cover the plates with masking tape on both sides to protect them, then draw the layout on the tape and mark the location of the holes. I'm pretty sure you can get this done pretty easily.
                          you cannot use aluminium on a bench grinder without a special grinding wheel....
                          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Rearsets

Guys,
                            I'm not an engineer,but have been fabricating racecar,motorcycle snowmobiles,streetrods for 40 years.1/4" thru 1/2" for rear set mounts in aluminum should be more than adequate.And using footpegs and linkage from that fast in the past should make it fairly simple to make your own.
                            I have access to a water jet if you've got some trick design in mind.And can probably get it done very cheaply for you.As long as you have some decent drawings on what you want.As a side thought.I'm making rearsets for my 1100 landspeedbike out of thin wall chromemoly tubing (1/2"od) an will be extended to within 6" of my extended wheelbase rear axle.For a stretched out, laying on my belly (side view) They are of trianglelated design for lite weight and high strength.
                            If I can help in any way PM me,and we'll see if I can help you out.Take care. Rich

Comment

Working...
                            X