Necessity of Compression Adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Necessity of Compression Adjustment

Is the $200-300 premium of compression adjustment worth it? I have a modern GSXR front end on the bike, it's going to have an aluminum swingarm and I'll be adding in frame bracing as needed. The bike is going to mostly live as a street bike but I plan on taking it to track days.

For example: the YSS Z-302 shocks are $399 and have threaded pre-load, rebound and height adjustment. The G-302 is pretty much exactly the same except it has compression adjustment as well (and piggybacks, which I dont care about) but is $200 more. The pricing scale is close for Works shocks too.

Since I'm going to have a decent amount of time and money invested in the suspension, should I just pay the extra money for the good stuff?

If it was me... yes. Being that your GSXR forks have both compression and rebound as well as preload. Having complete adjustability on both ends will give you the best end result.

Having full adjustment allows you to set your sag and then adjust dampening (both compression and rebound) to work in harmony. I've mostly used all these adjustments on a dirtbike, but since your bike (as well as mine) are vastly different weight and stance than OEM it is best to adjust for your bike and weight.

Some may consider it overboard, but to me the goal is to have the best handling bike I can build. I plan to get fully adjustable rear shocks on my bike.

(In my opinion doing the fully adjustable and actually tuning the suspension is what seperates a real build from a bike built for looks)
    1978 GS550 E
    673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
    New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
    for playing in the dirt

Comment

Working...
    X