Bronze Swingarm Bushing Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bronze Swingarm Bushing Questions

This relates mostly to fitting a GS1100 swingarm on a smaller bike. I've done lots of searches on replacing the needle bearing with bushings, it's mentioned but nothing definite.

I was wondering about two things. First would be a custom bronze/delrin bushing that would mate the 1100 swinger and 550 pivot bolt with no sleeve. The dimension would be 14x33x30. My understanding is that the hardened sleeve is there so that the bearing doesn't tear up the pivot bolt. With a bronze/delrin bushing this wouldn't be necessary right?

The second option would be to get a bronze/delrin bushing and use the 550 sleeve and pivot bolt. The dimensions for this would be 22x33x30. Online I have found a few vendors that make the bushings in a metric size REALLY close to what I need... Oilite and ASB bearings both make a 22x32x30 bushing. Would the 1mm outer diameter difference not hold snugly enough inside the swingarm so it wouldn't work?

The second option is soo much cheaper than the quotes I've been getting for making a custom one. The Oilite bushing is a couple bucks, where the custom ones are $125 plus material costs. I guess a third option would be to find a bushing that has the correct 33mm outer diameter and either cutting/reaming to make it for the length or inner diameter.

Any advice?

edit: According to Z1 Enterprises the stock bearing sizes are
    GS-550: 22x29x30
    GS-1100: 25x33x30

GS-550 pivot bolt: 14mm
    Last edited by Guest; 03-29-2013, 03:20 PM.

I'd think the oilite would be fine (and cheap) for this application as I understand your application. You could use shim stock ( maybe 1/2 inch wide and .5 mm thick) to boost the OD of the 32mm to 33 mm to get a snug fit in swingarm. I've done this with stuff that fully revolves, not just articulates, with no problems, when a bearing had damaged the housing.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Check what some of the Kawasaki bikes use

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
        Check what some of the Kawasaki bikes use
        You're a genius! The bronze bushings for the KZ bikes are all measured in inches (the ones I saw at least) but they convert to 22.2x33.3x39.6 . They're a little long but I don't need the flanged end anyway, I can just cut that off and clean them up nicely.

So now it's either that or Oilite, time to find which is the cheapest. This info is good to know for the GS750 guys too who don't want to ream the frame, the 750 shares the same axle pivot as the 550.

Here is the Oilite bushing, although it looks like it's only available overseas. I can't find that model on Oilite's site.
        The best value Bearings and other engineering products Online. We can source any bearing and will not be beaten on price

The leading manufacturer of standard inch and metric sleeve bearings and bushings in the world. Cast Bronze Standard & Metric Bearings Sleeve, PM Bronze, Rolled Bushings, Self Lubricating Bushings, Manganese Bronze & Aluminum Bronze bearings, Graphited Bronze Bearings and Plates, Plastic PTFE Bushings - ORDER ONLINE!

KZ stuff
        Last edited by Guest; 03-29-2013, 06:20 PM.

Comment

I'm a machinist, and I'm not too far away

I can and will machine up for you some custom, precise bushings and swap them for the GSXR front end.?

Ideally, I would need the parts the bushings will be in contact with,both internally and externally, to fit them properly.

And if you drove down here with that, and the GSXR front end stuff, I could make them with you present to ensure they're EXACTLY what you wanted.

What do you think?

Comment

I think that sounds pretty good, I don't mind taking a trip down Hwy 1.

Comment

lets make some bushings

Well, sounds like we've got ourselves a date, whats your schedule look like on the weekends? Or weekdays? I'm available almost anytime.

Send me a pm with your cell #, so we can hammer out the details.

Eric

Comment

Working...
              X