Can factory 650 pistons handle boost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ashdricky View Post
    My idea was to use an Aisin AMR500 roots supercharger, and a draw through carb, am I correct in thinking that the compressor will help with atomization of the fuel? and further more which carb would be the one to use?

Note: the AMR500 displaces 500CC per revolution, will this be ok for 674CC? I know the pulleys can be changed
    The answers are yes, and no....Yes, that blower wil work. Yes, it will atomise the fuel quite well...but, the distribution becomes quite critical particularly on an aircooled motor. Wrong manifold shape and you can have probs with one or more cylinders running lean. Do your research (read the books) on what you need.
    Also, on pump gas on the street, you will be surprised at just how hot the blower and manifold get. This itself can cause some weird problems as "hot blower" symptoms include not restarting and possible manifold/blower backfires....Don't forget to include an explosion valve on the inlet manifold - and preferably where it won't torch your leg....
    Last edited by GregT; 04-29-2013, 01:49 PM.

Comment

The suggestion to get a bigger bike was a good one. It sounds like you want to make a grenade.

Comment

Originally posted by ashdricky View Post
        My idea was to use an Aisin AMR500 roots supercharger, and a draw through carb, am I correct in thinking that the compressor will help with atomization of the fuel? and further more which carb would be the one to use?

Note: the AMR500 displaces 500CC per revolution, will this be ok for 674CC? I know the pulleys can be changed
        Charger sizing sounds pretty good. 1:1 drive ratio will result about 7psi boost, in theory. And maximum speed for the charger seems to be 16000 rpm so there is some headroom to rise the boost if needed.

I'm not sure about atomization. The compressor may help atomization to some degree but on the other hand there will be lots of surface area where the fuel can condensate. Draw through systems in general are quite notorious for uneven fuel distribution between the cylinders due to fuel separation and condensing.

Depending on charger placement I would seriously consider using the stock carbs (or something similar) in blow through configuration. Or even blow through EFI but that's a project on it's own.
        Arttu
        GS1100E EFI turbo
        Project thread

Comment

Originally posted by ArttuH View Post
          Charger sizing sounds pretty good. 1:1 drive ratio will result about 7psi boost, in theory. And maximum speed for the charger seems to be 16000 rpm so there is some headroom to rise the boost if needed.

I'm not sure about atomization. The compressor may help atomization to some degree but on the other hand there will be lots of surface area where the fuel can condensate. Draw through systems in general are quite notorious for uneven fuel distribution between the cylinders due to fuel separation and condensing.

Depending on charger placement I would seriously consider using the stock carbs (or something similar) in blow through configuration. Or even blow through EFI but that's a project on it's own.

I am currently finishing a slipper clutch conversion, for this bike, and am only collecting information the next phase, I am considering EFI and may have to go that way, I am having trouble finding space to mount the supercharger and still have room for the intake and injectors.

Comment

Working...
          X