No announcement yet.

Bigger cams runs richer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I SERIOUSLY doubt you will need smaller than 120s. Ray.

Comment

Well, I am really confused. My log files show the rpm maxing out intermittently, mostly at high rpm. I am wondering if my non-suppression wires are messing with the innovate stuff or my rev limiter.
      I didnt have any mikuni jets smaller than 125 so I put in DJ 124 (about 116 mikuni) and not much change in A/F.
      Maybe its ignition related.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-10-2013, 03:37 PM.

Comment

I have d9ea plugs in it now I am going to put some d8ea ones in. Maybe they d9's are too cold?

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
          I have d9ea plugs in it now I am going to put some d8ea ones in. Maybe they d9's are too cold?
          I dont know but what you are doing is scarrrrrry.

I think you need and independent AFR measurement before going any further

With my change to 4:2:1 and ported head I dropped from about 142.5-145 down to 135. You are moving a long way further than that. I wonder if your carbs have a gas leak and so you are not affecting the entire gas flow as you think with the main jet?
          Last edited by posplayr; 05-10-2013, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            I dont know but what you are doing is scarrrrrry.

I think you need and independent AFR measurement before going any further

With my change to 4:2:1 and ported head I dropped from about 142.5-145 down to 135. You are moving a long way further than that. I wonder if your carbs have a gas leak and so you are not affecting the entire gas flow as you think with the main jet?
            When I put the jets in I pulled the bowls and rechecked my float height. I really dont know unless my floats are not floating as much as they should. I turned the carbs on their side and tried blowing into the fuel line and the fuel valves seal well.
            A gas leak from where to where? If the bowls filled too much it would just go out the overflow.
            The acc pump is totally disabled as well.

Comment

When I put the jets in I pulled the bowls and rechecked my float height. I really dont know unless my floats are not floating as much as they should. I turned the carbs on their side and tried blowing into the fuel line and the fuel valves seal well.
              A gas leak from where to where? If the bowls filled too much it would just go out the overflow.
              The acc pump is totally disabled as well.
              No idea as I'm not familiar with the RS. It is just a theory that fits your observations and explains why you are not burning holes in pistons.

Related but a little out of left field. I have a 1980 Dodge motorhome with a 440 engine and Carter Thermo Quad. Despite all attempts to regulate the idle mixture it is running rich. Mechanic suspect some type of leak.

Comment

Well, I am really confused. My log files show the rpm maxing out intermittently, mostly at high rpm. I am wondering if my non-suppression wires are messing with the innovate stuff or my rev limiter.
                I didnt have any mikuni jets smaller than 125 so I put in DJ 124 (about 116 mikuni) and not much change in A/F.
                Maybe its ignition related.
                Where is the fuel screw? The fuel screw should not be turned out more than 1 turn max. It should be about a 1/2 turn out. Are the little rubber washers and the spring and metal washer at the end of the fuel screw in good shape and in the right order? What notch clip is the needle on? If your needing a main jet smaller than a 125 with 38mm RS Mukuni carbs you have a problem somewhere else in the carbs. Check the choke circuit make sure it is not leaking and the fuel screw will affect the entire throttle range. if it is leaking fuel into the intake track it could be your problem. Double check you float height also. With the cam change you should not have had to change the main jet by more than one size.
                My stable
                84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
                85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
                88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
                98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
                90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
                06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
                00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Originally posted by stetracer View Post
                  Where is the fuel screw? The fuel screw should not be turned out more than 1 turn max. It should be about a 1/2 turn out. Are the little rubber washers and the spring and metal washer at the end of the fuel screw in good shape and in the right order? What notch clip is the needle on? If your needing a main jet smaller than a 125 with 38mm RS Mukuni carbs you have a problem somewhere else in the carbs. Check the choke circuit make sure it is not leaking and the fuel screw will affect the entire throttle range. if it is leaking fuel into the intake track it could be your problem. Double check you float height also. With the cam change you should not have had to change the main jet by more than one size.
                  The fuel screw is at 1/2 turn and I put in new o-rings. spring, washer then o-ring, right?
                  Needle is on bottom notch, full rich, I tried other settings runs better there. The choke plungers seem to move properly, I want to take a second look to see if they are fully seating.
                  I noticed that the carbs were not level when on the bike, angled down at the back, so I repositioned the boots so they are level.
                  I put in a set of d8ea plugs and it runs better.
                  A/F still shows rich at WOT, I am going to recalibrate the O2 sensor.

Comment

Was reading some mikuni tuning guides and it said float height at 19mm +/-2mm
                    So, at 11pm I went down and reset my float to 21mm. I also took apart my choke assy. Someone had put the balls and springs in wrong, so the choke wasnt being positively held shut when pushed in, now it snaps shut good. Put the 125 mains back in and went for a ride. A/F looks better. It was rainy so I couldn't open it up and test it like I wanted to, looks better though. Wow a glimmer of hope and I was about to torch it or push it off a cliff.
                    One thing I have noticed about these carbs is that when I remove the first bowl drain, it drains for a long time, then the other three hardly have any in them, I think the tube connecting the bowls on the bottom for the A/P connects the bowls together not just for the A/P
                    I think the next sensor I want to setup is a temp sensor, so I can compare A/F reading with engine temp.

Comment

Originally posted by akckhim View Post
                      Here's the reason more air flow pulls more fuel through the jet making it rich. Had head ported on drag bike years ago same thing had to drop one size on main jet gained .5 second and picked up 10mph.
                      Yes, that is quite common.
                      Speed Merchant
                      http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Big engine small jet , small engine big jet. Rick Ward told me this back in the his Byron days.

Comment

Well, I have a 125 mikuni main with floats at 19mm now and it seems decent. My logging hardware isnt working properly but feels good. Plugs look good.

Comment

Working...
                          X