After First Long Drive, Runs and Idles a Little Rough Now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After First Long Drive, Runs and Idles a Little Rough Now

Alright, so I've had my back back in shape to ride around the side streets for a while now, and in doing so it's ran great considering I haven't yet vacuum synced my carbs or adjusted my valves.

Today I ran it about 15 miles to the DMV and back via some local winding roads that run along the river...

I'm a little concerned because now that I have it back to the garage it wants to cough and misfire. It'll sound like it wants to die and then pick up again. I never really pinned it, I definitely got on it a little bit and got to 90 before running out of road with the throttle pulled 90-95%, but probably never more than 7500-8000 rpms while having it out, I don't have a tach.

Without the forementioned adjustments done should I be concerned about any damage or is it just the freshly rebuilt carbs working the kinks out? Pilot needle? etc etc? The plugs read good except for the first cylinder which is a little rich so I don't suppose there's a burnt valve or anything crazy.

Should I just continue with my valve clearances and vacuum sync and quit trippin? Or what are some potential things I could've done?

Thanks

Nate...The Newb

Go easy on back and bike for a while! could be crud in gas tank that found it's way to petcock and carbs.
    Check valves; check charging system voltage per quick check. Maybe try a dose of Seafoam or equivalent -bike needs to run sorta smooth before you vacuum synch to perfection.

"local winding roads that run along the river" -my favorite rides!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks Tom, peace of mind that there's been no exclaimations, "you did what!" I'll continue with my clearance and all that, I hope my carbs haven't gotten gummed up. I just rebuilt them. My petcock seeps a little bit, maybe a long ride has progressed that issue.

Also, in testing I would pull the throttle back as fast as I could and then allow it to rebound. It would sputter sometimes when doing that, it didn't used to, ever. That leads me to think it could be the pilot needle or jet is gunked, or any low speed component in there.

Thanks again, Nate

Comment

A vacuum leak will do the same thing. Have you changed the intake boot O-Rings and are the boots in good shape?
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

The o rings were replaced on the intake boots and I didn't notice anything out of shape with them. It'll have to be on the list of things to check.

One thing I forgot to mention was that the valve cover gasket had a pretty substantial leak in it? This would effect vacuum enough would it not?

And lastly, I noticed on my out side carb body where there is the metal end cap on bodies 1 and 4, it has become slightly discolored as if fuel were trying to make it's way out. Is that something common?

I'll be replacing a couple shims and the valve cover gasket tomorrow afternoon. I'll report back.

Nate

Comment

While you're doing valve clearance check, it's also a good time to doublecheck camshaft to crankshaft timing- maybe 5 minutes of effort for piece of mind.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

a leaky valve cover gasket has no effect on loss of vacuum, just loss of oil.......heehee
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
              X