Hayden Krank Vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hayden Krank Vent

I have noticed some people on the site here have installed this Hayden Krank Vent. I have been doing some research and looking at several tests done on this unit and the Spyke venting system also. I see they claim 2 - 7 HP increases quicker revving, better ring sealing,etc. on some of the sites. The only actual dyno tests I have found claim absolutly 0 HP no quicker throttle response etc. They claim that it no more than a glorified PVC valve at 99$-127$ Except on some of the old Harleys they seem to keep from blowing base gaskets as often.I was just wondering what any of you had to say about this product and what were some of the results you have found if any. Thanks for any and all responses.
    sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Hayden Enterprises M6 Chain Tensioners - Automatically adjusts the tension of the primary chain. Provide constant and even tension, which improves gear shifting. Reduce shifting noise; makes for a smoother ride. Extends primary chain life.

More than simply venting your crankcase fumes, the Krank Vent Plus controls the air under the pistons by maintaining the proper amount of vacuum in the crankcase at any RPM. You'll gain 2-8% of useable rear wheel horsepower. Your engine gains a quicker throttle response. The unit snaps open for easy cleaning, is not restricted to position and is compact and light weight to fit all Harley Davidsons, including the hard to fit 93 and up head-breathers.
    Boy that sure sounds like a stretch.

I put a pressure gauge on mine(off the oil filler) to see if there was any blow by and I saw no appreciable pressure on my 1166ed GS1100ED

Comment

Snake oil salesmen.

Comment

2-8% increase in power??????? sounds like a load of BS to me........
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Regardless of what you think, the Hayden Krank Vent does work, but I have found that it only works for a short time until it wears out the umbrella valve. There is another Crank Vent out there that is supposed to have different lifetime material for the vent valve. It's cheaper than the Hayden, has a lifetime guarantee, and I will most likely get one to test before I give up on the idea. When they are working there is a nice difference that you will notice, but until I find one that is 100% reliable, I wouldn't recommend the expense. Umbrella valves for the Hayden are cheap, but the four cylinder motors eat them for lunch and I'm getting tired of changing them monthly.
          Last edited by OldVet66; 05-07-2013, 08:51 AM.
          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
            Regardless of what you think, the Hayden Krank Vent does work, but I have found that it only works for a short time until it wears out the umbrella valve. There is another Crank Vent out there that is supposed to have different lifetime material for the vent valve. It's cheaper than the Hayden, has a lifetime guarantee, and I will most likely get one to test before I give up on the idea. When they are working there is a nice difference that you will notice, but until I find one that is 100% reliable, I wouldn't recommend the expense. Umbrella valves for the Hayden are cheap, but the four cylinder motors eat them for lunch and I'm getting tired of changing them monthly.
            Hey OV66, do you think an automotive PCV valve might work?

We should go riding sometime if the weather ever warms up!

Comment

No, not at all. It has to be an extremely fast one way valve to maintain a vacuum in the crank case. Take a look at these guys though: http://www.et-performance.com/motorcycles.html
              Last edited by OldVet66; 05-07-2013, 12:03 PM.
              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Ha, the first normal spring in many years, you are too used to winter to Sahara Summer, but definitely on the riding.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                  What does work mean? Stops blow by, stops oil leaks, stocks bluepuffs, increases hp(how much)? creates a vacuum in the crank case?

What are you running it on.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    What does work mean? Stops blow by, stops oil leaks, stocks bluepuffs, increases hp(how much)? creates a vacuum in the crank case?

What are you running it on.
                    it doesn't "work" or "stop" anything as far as i can tell. i cant see how it can increase horse power?
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

Allows the motor to create it's own vacuum. I can't qualify horse power, but it does add more low end power and somewhat better gas mileage, that is until the one way valve wears out..
                      Last edited by OldVet66; 05-07-2013, 12:53 PM.

Comment

OV66 knows I am skeptical, certainly about horsepower improvement claims of 2 to 7 hp, but, in his defense, it is common in drag race engines to use vacuum pumps to reduce crankcase pressure. Here's a link (one of many) http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/vacuum-pumps.html
                        If the Hayden valve can actually help pull a vacuum, then maybe it helps improve horsepower too.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
                          OV66 knows I am skeptical, certainly about horsepower improvement claims of 2 to 7 hp, but, in his defense, it is common in drag race engines to use vacuum pumps to reduce crankcase pressure. Here's a link (one of many) http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/vacuum-pumps.html
                          If the Hayden valve can actually help pull a vacuum, then maybe it helps improve horsepower too.
                          why would you need a vacuum pump to reduce pressure? if it is vented then any pressure will be naturally expelled into a lower pressure atmosphere.
                          OV is saying that it creates a vacuum in the crankcase, not to suck the pressure out?............
                          1978 GS1085.

Comment

Added note: The crankcase volume in a conventional two-up/two-down inline 4 cylinder engine is pretty constant, since two pistons go up as the other two go down, offsetting the displacement.

You need the engine to create a lot of variation in crankcase volume for something like the Hayden valve to really pull a vacuum. For example, V-twin Harley engines use a single crank pin, so the pistons somewhat rise and fall together (offset in phase by the 70 degree (?) V-angle of the cylinders). When the pistons fall, they push air out the breather. If you have a check valve that prevents air from going back in, then a vacuum is pulled as the pistons rise again. The vacuum reduces drag on the pistons and probably helps keep the oil from foaming so much.

I know that Harley motors "breath" a lot of air out the breather tube. You can really feel it. I don't feel nearly so much out of an inline 4. Perhaps the Yamaha crossplane engine would get more benefit.

Comment

I have not set up a vacuum gauge on the crank case. With the bike on the side stand running and the oil cap unscrewed, you can watch the oil cap bobble as it is sucked back into the hole. If you split the Hayden vent at the O-ring while you are doing this, the cap falls right off. That would indicate to me that some vacuum is being created even at idle. It may be just enough to offset the effects of blow by though it can't stop it. I do know it has some benefits that are noticeable or I wouldn't fool with it. The Hayden vent design isn't the answer the valve wears out too fast, hopefully there is a reliable one out there. I'm backing out of Crank Vent discussions. Too many opinions by people who have never done it.

Comment

Working...
                              X