Hayden Krank Vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
    well the big V8 boys have obviously improved his patent and got it to work well on V8's.....................
    These things are popular with the Harley crowd. Would probably help a Triumph twin as well.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2013, 11:54 PM.

Comment

If vacuum pumps DIDN'T work, we would not use them on dragbike engines. On a good 1500+cc GS they are good for 5-10 hp. The gains are even bigger than JUST using the pump because you can use lower tension rings for less drag & more power & still have ring seal due to the vacuum drawn in the engine. I know they work on drag engines but have no idea about other applications. Ray.

Comment

I found some dyno results here for the Spike unit on a V-twin and they can't seem to find any positive performance results either. www.nightrider.com/biketech/crankvent_test.htm
        sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
          If vacuum pumps DIDN'T work, we would not use them on dragbike engines. On a good 1500+cc GS they are good for 5-10 hp. The gains are even bigger than JUST using the pump because you can use lower tension rings for less drag & more power & still have ring seal due to the vacuum drawn in the engine. I know they work on drag engines but have no idea about other applications. Ray.
          I believe it!

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          are we then talking the potential to starve certain places of oil? if it can "suck in" oil leaks, it could suck oil from delicate places, such as cam journals, or outer gearbox bearings?
          The good news is that a simple check valve, no matter how expensive, doesn't seem to work well enough to cause a problem!

Of course you could just save your money and buy some stout.

Comment

i am thinking now about finding a suitable non return valve to incorporate into my crankcase breather tanks. instead of a vent on top the tank, fit a one way valve.
            would this have a similar effect as the vacuum valve with the added catch tank to collect any fluids that get sucked out?
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

The problem is finding one that will work reliably at the RPM's your bike will be running. My Briggs and Stratton V-Twin on my 0-Turn lawnmower has a one way reed valve to vent the crank case (this theory is certainly not new). It appears that reliability at higher RPM's is the issue. Maybe ET has solved this with their KrankVent. The one for most motorcycles is about $75.00. I just put a new umbrella valve in my Hayden and I could instantly tell the bike was running nicer. I'm guessing the Hayden valve would would work really well on the lawnmower.
              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

do you run a vacuum pump Ray on any of your bikes? if so do you run one of these kits or make your own set up?
                1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I can believe the power gains. But a simple reed valve or PCV valve doesn't make any real difference on an inline four. As someone said here this simple system only works well on something with widely varying crankcase volume - a single, 360deg twin,Flat twin, V twin etc...To see gains on an inline four something like a vacuum pump is needed.
                  I've been using Yamaha 4 petal reed valves for years on singles and twins with very good results - even solved the Brittens crankcase breathing probs with one...

Comment

Working...
                  X