850 conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

850 conversion

Looking at a possible 850 conversion on my 78 gs750. Searched the forum and it looks like pre 1980 cylinder bank + pistons is the best option?

Aside from that, what gaskets should I use? 750 or 850?

Originally posted by silverbullet132 View Post
    Looking at a possible 850 conversion on my 78 gs750. Searched the forum and it looks like pre 1980 cylinder bank + pistons is the best option?

Aside from that, what gaskets should I use? 750 or 850?
    I don't see why pre 80 would be better, with the 80 up you get bigger CV carbs more air and fuel, means more power. I'm sure someone will say the contrary, but I'm going 80 850 on 77 750 using the cylinder, pistons, head, carbs and cams from the 850 and will be using the 850 gasket set.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

As gsrick mentioned, the main reason to stay with the '79 cylinders and head is to be able to keep your VM carbs. If you don't mind switching your carbs, feel free to expand your search to newer models.

I think I remember something about the newer cylinder blocks needing some minor machine work to fit into the crankcase properly, but can not guarantee that.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ah ok, maybe I will get lucky and find a deal then. Was hoping to not have to sell these VM carbs as I just got them.

If I pull this off the bike will have a 78 ported head w/ yosh cams should scream haha

Comment

From Eric

I had to do nothing.
          Apparently some of the GSR members said that they had to grind some of the lower crankcase bores or something like that.
          Mine just fell on.

Eric
          GSRick
          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Just use your 750 head and the 750 cam gears

Comment

Thanks guys. Also, will my GS750 header fit the 850? Even if i go 1980+?

Comment

Use the part nos. to figure out what pistons and jugs will work. You can use 850 pistons and jugs from 79-81. The jugs (P/N 11210-45100) are the same across these models.

When I did the swap, the jugs would not fully seat because of a bit of casting flange in crank case beneath Nos. 1 and 4. But I ground those down with a Dremel after stuffing a lot oily rags in there to catch any bits. Then I ran plenty of oil through the pan to make sure nothing slipped through -- e.g., drain the oil, fill, drain that oil, re-fill with the same oil, rinse/repeat, then drain again, and put fresh oil in the bike. Basically do a double oil change, since you recycle one batch of oil a couple times to flush out the pan.

Note that because the 1979 850 used the same head as the 1979 750, you can use the carbs, valves, etc. from a 78/79 750 on top of any 1979-1981 850 jugs/pistons.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
                  Use the part nos. to figure out what pistons and jugs will work. You can use 850 pistons and jugs from 79-81. The jugs (P/N 11210-45100) are the same across these models.

When I did the swap, the jugs would not fully seat because of a bit of casting flange in crank case beneath Nos. 1 and 4. But I ground those down with a Dremel after stuffing a lot oily rags in there to catch any bits. Then I ran plenty of oil through the pan to make sure nothing slipped through -- e.g., drain the oil, fill, drain that oil, re-fill with the same oil, rinse/repeat, then drain again, and put fresh oil in the bike. Basically do a double oil change, since you recycle one batch of oil a couple times to flush out the pan.

Note that because the 1979 850 used the same head as the 1979 750, you can use the carbs, valves, etc. from a 78/79 750 on top of any 1979-1981 850 jugs/pistons.
                  Thanks a bunch

If this cyl head with yosh cams checks out I will probably end up doing this. Though, I just found an entire GS1100 for sale local for $750. Decisions decisions...

Comment

Cyl head is ported and has yosh cams just going to use that with 850 pistons. Previous owner told me he had a big bore 850cc yosh kit in it, 2 of the pistons remain. Hopefully no boring is needed for the cylinders.

Comment

Working...
                    X