Idle question: 4000+ RPMs at start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle question: 4000+ RPMs at start!

Ok, so I cleaned the carbs on my 81 GS850, put it all back together and now when I start it, it idles at 4000 - 5000 RPMs! Sounds like a rocket! It used to idle at just over 1000 RPMs. What have I miffed up? The choke was all the way in when starting, not giving it any throttle. Throttle cable too tight was my first thought? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Entirely possible you've got the throttle cable snagged, holding the butterflies open. I once did it myself where the cable mounts to the carb, but hard to describe.

The enrichener circuit (choke) itself will make the engine rev up high as the engine warms up and you need to keep reducing choke as it warms. Probably obvious, but worth mentioning.

Comment

check your cables, check you main throttle screw maybe you dialed it in too much? check to make sure your choke plungers are not stuck on or something like that.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks AJ and azr...appreciate the tips, the throttle cable was dialed in waaaay too much, not sure how that happened, maybe my 6 year old daughter who likes to tinker around my workbench turned it when I wasn't looking. Anyway, dialed it out, did a bit of adjustment on the throttle and got the RPMs to where they need to be. So I'm good. Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Polishpower77 View Post
          Thanks AJ and azr...appreciate the tips, the throttle cable was dialed in waaaay too much, not sure how that happened, maybe my 6 year old daughter who likes to tinker around my workbench turned it when I wasn't looking. Anyway, dialed it out, did a bit of adjustment on the throttle and got the RPMs to where they need to be. So I'm good. Thanks!!
          Best news I've heard tonight! Ride on!

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
            Best news I've heard tonight! Ride on!
            Same here! These beers taste must better after figuring this out! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X