1150 3.5" wheel swap in a 700

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1150 3.5" wheel swap in a 700

Same post here in my project thread http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...=209237&page=2

Thought I would share the mod:

86 GS 1150 3.5" wheel
    86 GS 1150 Rear caliper
    98 Bandit 1200 brake stay

This allows for a 150/70/17 to slide in with ease versus the 120 stock recommendation. I managed to barely squeeze a 130 in prior to this. As the photo shows below the Bandit stay is a direct bolt on with zero modifications needed. However I may have it shorten to straighten out the caliper for cosmetic reasons only.

The fatty..

Comment

The brake stay side with a full 1/4 inch of wiggle room, if desired I am pretty certain you could get a 160 in with no issues.

Comment

Chain side

Comment

Along with the new Hagon mono it should give it a whole new stance.

Last edited by Guest; 06-04-2013, 10:22 PM.

Comment

well i just put a 4.5 widen gs wheel on my 81 gs1100e with the 150X70 r 17 and i did modify the brake bar to .bought the wheel from streetracer looks good and doesnt shake at high speeds

Comment

Looks Good

jwhelan65, what did you do, if anything, to get clearance on chain side?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by KKBS View Post
                jwhelan65, what did you do, if anything, to get clearance on chain side?

Thanks.
                I removed the chain guard, but actually I think it will clear with it on. The 70 sidewall measurement is a tad shorter tire which clears with all the stock spacing.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                  I removed the chain guard, but actually I think it will clear with it on. The 70 sidewall measurement is a tad shorter tire which clears with all the stock spacing.
                  Understood. I am not familiar with the GS700 chain to tire spacing. Must be a lot more than the 1100E. I have an 1100EZ. Read posts of others putting the 3.5 / 17 out back. Seems spacers and 530 chain conversion almost always necessary even with a 130 / 90. Thinking therefore a 150 / 70 probably not possible without some serious chain offset.

Your GS looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by KKBS View Post
                    Understood. I am not familiar with the GS700 chain to tire spacing. Must be a lot more than the 1100E. I have an 1100EZ. Read posts of others putting the 3.5 / 17 out back. Seems spacers and 530 chain conversion almost always necessary even with a 130 / 90. Thinking therefore a 150 / 70 probably not possible without some serious chain offset.

Your GS looks great.
                    You shouldn't need any offset if you stay with a GS wheel. If my memory serves me correctly there members running 160-170 in the stock swinger.

Comment

Done..

Comment

done..

very nice

Comment

I managed to get the same rear wheel on my 1100 Kat but I stayed with a 130/90*17 tire.
                          The brake stay had to be modified and an offset sprocket was used to clear the 530 chain from the tire

sigpicJohn Kat
                          My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                          GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
                            I managed to get the same rear wheel on my 1100 Kat but I stayed with a 130/90*17 tire.
                            The brake stay had to be modified and an offset sprocket was used to clear the 530 chain from the tire

A Bandit brake stay bolts right up allowing the a 150..

Comment

A Bandit brake stay bolts right up allowing the a 150..
                              I saw that
                              Good news because it wasn't easy to modify the original brake stay.
                              Interestingly enough my 130 tire actually measure 140 mm on a 3.5" rim
                              sigpicJohn Kat
                              My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                              GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Working...
                              X