baffle packing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

baffle packing

im bout tired of my noisy 850...i have a 4-1 an have some unknown brand of packing...

curious as what others use...i want it quieter for running down the highway or running in town...and more agressive at wot

ive been debating on two brothers packing...but unsure

I have used fiberglass it lasted 2 yrs. Bought the long spaghetti type should be able to do the pipe twice .sound is about the same as fiberglass.

Comment

Originally posted by kdo58 View Post
      I have used fiberglass it lasted 2 yrs. Bought the long spaghetti type should be able to do the pipe twice .sound is about the same as fiberglass.
      tried that...sounds good for about 10 miles then back to loud..

Comment

How about ceramic insulation? Used in forges and kilns- it last a long long time in extreme heat. Basically ceramic infused fiberglass.

Comment

Originally posted by Badooka View Post
          How about ceramic insulation? Used in forges and kilns- it last a long long time in extreme heat. Basically ceramic infused fiberglass.
          had tried that...i have a junk stock right side stock muffler from my bike...the can is bent...i though about cutting it and making it slide into my exhaust...i may have to de-jet though

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
            im bout tired of my noisy 850 ...

The type of packing that you install will depend a bit on the construction of your baffle. Most baffles have two disks that block the inside of the pipe, but have holes in the center that are connected by a perforated tube about a foot long. The diameter of that perforated tube will determine how well the pipe flows, and also its noise level. On those baffles, any packing around the perforated tube is only to deaden the echo of the exhaust pulses passing through.

On the pipe that I have for my 850 (took it off my son's 850 before we sold it), the perforated tube also has a disk blocking it in the middle. That forces all the exhaust through the hole in the first disk, through the first half of the perforated tube, around the center disk, back through the second half of the perforated tube and finally, through the hole in the rear disk. With this setup, I need to control some of the echo, but it also needs to be rather free-flowing material, as the exhaust has to flow through it, not just past it. Fortunately, it is quiet enough (even for me) with no packing at all.

Don't forget to check your jetting when you get done, you will likely be rich.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

The type of packing that you install will depend a bit on the construction of your baffle. Most baffles have two disks that block the inside of the pipe, but have holes in the center that are connected by a perforated tube about a foot long. The diameter of that perforated tube will determine how well the pipe flows, and also its noise level. On those baffles, any packing around the perforated tube is only to deaden the echo of the exhaust pulses passing through.

On the pipe that I have for my 850 (took it off my son's 850 before we sold it), the perforated tube also has a disk blocking it in the middle. That forces all the exhaust through the hole in the first disk, through the first half of the perforated tube, around the center disk, back through the second half of the perforated tube and finally, through the hole in the rear disk. With this setup, I need to control some of the echo, but it also needs to be rather free-flowing material, as the exhaust has to flow through it, not just past it. Fortunately, it is quiet enough (even for me) with no packing at all.

Don't forget to check your jetting when you get done, you will likely be rich.

i do enjoy how the 850 sounds...just want it toned down a little...

ill be rich? bout time...thanks for the info too

Comment

tried disasebling the stock muffler...waste of time lol...

so i found a glasspack cut it on each end, pulled out the packing and inside tube which had little reliefs vs my round hole style baffle

cut my baffle i made and welded the glasspack center baffle part where the air/sound would be scooped into the packing...put the glasspack packing with some fiberglass cloth and shove it in the exhaust..

its soooo much quieter now...still a bit noisy so im going to find another glasspack o 2 and put its packing in there too...

but now in 5th gear around 40 mph its quiet...open it up an u can hear it...so this will do for now

Comment

No pics? Lets have a looksee

Comment

I have been using high quality stainless steel wool. I don't expect it to burn out anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      I have been using high quality stainless steel wool. I don't expect it to burn out anytime soon.

I have been looking for some stainless steel wool, where on earth can I find it????? We have a nice stainless steel pot scrubber in the kitchen, but no one in the house remembers where it came from. None at the Krogers or other groceries I have looked at.

Before I scraped my muffler on the ground in too many turns (resulted in the baffle bolt loosening and the baffle shooting out like a rocket into the road to get run over!), I loved the sound of my bike with no packing and a straight through perforated tube that I made myself, but the volume was a bit too loud. Any packing mellowed out the tone a lot bit did far less for the volume. I was always hoping for a muffler design that I could replicate that would keep the raspy echoing tones but just reduce the decibels. No luck thus far other than maybe using a longer muffler or making a hybrid of that design and a flowmaster car muffler. I salvaged the rear half of my original baffle and bought some more tubing to re-make something slightly different. I'll keep ya posted. The open exhaust sounds so awesome and authoritative at idle, but it's just waaayyyy too much cruising.
                      '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                      '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                      '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                      '79 GS425stock
                      PROJECTS:
                      '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                      '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                      '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                      '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                      '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

fit a DB killer, widely available, plenty on ebay.
                        works a treat and dont zap power

like this........

Last edited by Agemax; 07-07-2013, 12:57 PM. Reason: link added
                        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
                          I have been looking for some stainless steel wool, where on earth can I find it????? We have a nice stainless steel pot scrubber in the kitchen, but no one in the house remembers where it came from. None at the Krogers or other groceries I have looked at.

Before I scraped my muffler on the ground in too many turns (resulted in the baffle bolt loosening and the baffle shooting out like a rocket into the road to get run over!), I loved the sound of my bike with no packing and a straight through perforated tube that I made myself, but the volume was a bit too loud. Any packing mellowed out the tone a lot bit did far less for the volume. I was always hoping for a muffler design that I could replicate that would keep the raspy echoing tones but just reduce the decibels. No luck thus far other than maybe using a longer muffler or making a hybrid of that design and a flowmaster car muffler. I salvaged the rear half of my original baffle and bought some more tubing to re-make something slightly different. I'll keep ya posted. The open exhaust sounds so awesome and authoritative at idle, but it's just waaayyyy too much cruising.

Where else but the Bay

Not sure what can you have or what baffle dimensions you are looking for but I once found a decent deal on a Yoshimura RS-3 baffle and retrofitted a Muzzy Can with it. That baffle was made of some premium tough stuff. (see pic)
                          Last edited by posplayr; 07-07-2013, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X