No announcement yet.

Steering dampers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got one on my S too. The fairing is meant to mess with the high speed handling (does it?). I don't even notice it's fitted at low speed.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I've picked up cheap dampeners off e-bay from late model gsxr's. Usually about ten bucks plus freight. Non adjustable except for fluid viscosity. different weights of fork oil make them looser or stiffer. Thats what I run on the drag bikes with 7-weight R/C shock oil

Comment

damper

In discussing the 80 81 GS1100E, several motorcycle magazines commented on the instability at very high speeds. After heaping every accolade possible on these bikes, one magazine indicated that, yes, the GS1100E could be a "wriggling handful at speed", something he had only experienced at the track. Not having researched what "speed" was, I had my bike out one summer evening on a long flat nearly deserted road on the outskirts of town. Decided to see "what it would do". I don't remember the exact numbers (it was 1985 - and yes, I was young and stupid) but do remember figuring that according to the tach, I was right at 130 mph. This bike was meticulously maintained. Good tires properly inflated. Aligned properly. Balanced wheels. Well, you know what is coming next: I hit the tiniest little bump and the handlebars went into a violent shake. We are not talking about a mild shimmy. I mean 8 inches back and forth, and I could not get it under control. Blipped the throttle back and forth. Tapped the brake. Finally just let it coast down, all the while shaking so much that I could not have changed directions to save my life. Not until I got back down below 100 mph did it subside. I had been between 90 and 100 mph on numerous occasions with no sign of a shake. I pulled over to the curb, got off to collect my wits (evidently only had 1/2 of one that night) sat on the curb and watched my knees knock. Oh, I went back and did some research, and "speed" = 120 to 130 mph.

The guy I had purchased the bike from had been bugging me for quite some time to buy it back. We made a deal the next morning.

Part of me always regretted selling that bike. My buddy still has it, and I have borrowed it numerous times over the years when I wanted to ride. Some of you know I just purchased an 82 GS1100E. My buddy was there when it was unloaded. We laughed about the shake. Rest assured, this bike will never see those speeds with me on it.

Damper? If I were going to take my bike to the track, you bet. If I were young and foolish enough to do 130 on the street, you bet. Right now, just don't think I would put one on it. Why tempt myself?

Lynn

Comment

Working...
        X