Back to stock pipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to stock pipes?

I just found me a junker GS750, that looks for all intents and purposes the same as my GS1000. This bike is done, but has some little peices that I can rob, err buy as needs be.

One thing it has is a (I assume) stock exhaust system, all chrome and in fairly good shape. Should I chuck my 4-1 (it is not overly pretty, but looks and sounds real mean) and go for the twin pipe thing? What about power, will I get more, or less or what am I drivelling on about? the pipe I have burns the feet of passengers :twisted: which I think is funny :twisted:

However, some shiny bits on the thing would be nice no? The twin pipe thing looks a bit triumph trident though.... Help!

Performance will probably go down with the stock pipe, how much will depend on what 4 into 1 you're using, and how good a shape the stock one is in. Noise levels will go down, and weight will go up. You'll have to be the judge on the looks of it. As always, if you mess with the air flow of an engine, you may need to rejet the carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom
      Performance will probably go down with the stock pipe, how much will depend on what 4 into 1 you're using, and how good a shape the stock one is in. Noise levels will go down, and weight will go up. You'll have to be the judge on the looks of it. As always, if you mess with the air flow of an engine, you may need to rejet the carbs.
      So, basically I will have nicer a looking manifold, but it will weigh more, not good be quieter, not good either loose power onto bad now and I will need to mess with the jets in the carbs too. Kinda no then. Thanks for the heads up.. appreciated

Comment

personally i like the looks of the 4 into 2 better.i dont have any problem keeping up with my buddies madura and my brothers honda. accelerates fine. if your into how quick and how fast riding,stick with what you have

Comment

Originally posted by rodcwer
          personally i like the looks of the 4 into 2 better.i dont have any problem keeping up with my buddies madura and my brothers honda. accelerates fine. if your into how quick and how fast riding,stick with what you have
          I like to be on top of my game. By all accounts this bike runs better than it has any right to, in terms of sheer grunt and ridability. I really wanted to loose the rusty 4 branch, and going to a stock setup would have worked out cheap. Going to see about chomeplating/powercoating the thing cheaply. For now I will keep on spraying it with alluminium paint!

My latest "trick" which my 5yr old loves, is to choke the motor up and rev it. Net result is an eighteen inch flame straight out of the silencer on the overrun! I doubt you can do that on stock pipes.. :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

I got a clean stock 4 in 2 exhaust on my 80gs1000e. It was a replacement for the previous 4 in 2 which was banged up and rusty. Not only do I prefer the look of the big dual exhaust, the stereo sound of the pipes is sweet and they are quiet which I like. They have a nice deep bass stereo rumble not found in a 4 in 1 setup. Just my personal preference.

Comment

Not only do I prefer the look of the big dual exhaust, the stereo sound of the pipes is sweet and they are quiet which I like. They have a nice deep bass stereo rumble not found in a 4 in 1 setup. Just my personal preference.[/quote]

COULDNT AGREE MORE

Comment

Yes, classic 4 into 2. Definitely.
                Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

In my opinion, you are almost always better off with stock parts.

Comment

Originally posted by dpep
                    Yes, classic 4 into 2. Definitely.
                    I dont know. I saw a guy on a Z1, which looks pretty similar to my bike with the 4-2 and man was it quiet. I have enough trouble in traffic as most car mirrors make my bike look very much like a pizza bike, and as the national sport is to slow these things through traffic the extra noise is a real plus. Once they hear my bike there is a distinction, some cars even pull back into the centre of their lane to let me through!

The Police don't have any issues with noise, and the neighours need to go outside to turn of their car alarms (if they can hear them over the rap music..) to get a bit of exersise! :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                    X