BUILDING AN I.C.B.M. KATANA 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by first timer

or for a mere $3200 you get a complete efi kit complete with electric fuel pump.

-ryan
    That sounds bit expensive for me. I guess that I spend less than $1000 to my EFI setup. But on the other hand it needed much DIY work and it doesn't look so cool.

Comment

Is it wrong to think about humping your bike Katman?

Awesome job there...looks amazing!

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
        Is it wrong to think about humping your bike Katman?

Awesome job there...looks amazing!

~Adam
        NO DUUUUUUUDE!

That's"HOOPED" not humped. In other words "out of luck" with regard to the swingarm.lol

Thanks for the koodo's on the bike. I have worked long and hard on it.
        KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

OK here it is,

the b1200 arm is 1/2 inch wider but I am confident I can work with it. The problem is the rear brake assembly. It is going to interfere with the arm.

I figure that I am going to shortem the brake pivot arm and corresponding frame support, cut and reweld a new brake pedal stop and return spring attachment so it is flatter to the frame. That will give me the room needed to bit the beast into the kat.

I will make it work

I have found two arms...one for 75.00 GBP and another for 150.00 USD. I am still looking for a better deal. I am hoping to trade two gsxr arms for it if I can or at least sell them to offset the price. I think 50.00 usd an arm is a good deal.
          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

OK>>>>>

Just bought a bandit 1200 swingarm. Will be here Thurs, Fri. of next week. Paid going price (which I HATE to do) but what can I do......Man I hope it fits.........urhrhhrhhhhgggggggg.

Taken a big chance here and it's going to cost me if it doesn't.
            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

I was wondering about that clutch cover. I wonder what putting it in the bead blasting cabinet and hitting it with the glass media would do. I would like it to look a little better, but there is no way i'm gonna spend the time on mine you did.

Comment

Ryan

glass beading won't help much. It will make it brighter but won't take off any of the casting marks or the roughness. I had asked the coater/cleaner about that too.

I used a dremel with 60 and 120 grit sanding barrels follwed by 100/220/600 paper and block, a 3m fine pad then a final with medal polish. It is work but it isn't a show polish. I wanted it to match my cam links.
                KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Well Tomorrow is Chirstmas again.....

I am picking up a shipment of misc. parts from bikebandit, a set of LED shorty signals and the bandit 1200 swingarm.

I will be letting yall know how easy a mod the swing is......or NOT.
                  KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

HEY, HEY, HEY........It fits!!!!!

A bit of moding to do but will work great. So all you kat owners out there, This is a great upgrade for a swingarm. (2002 bandit 1200) Pictures and details to follow.

WaaaaaaaHooooooo. Glad I didn't spend that 700.00 on the other arm.
                    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Hi Katman,
                      Just want to know that dose it need to modify or relocate the rear brake cylinder unit as the swing arm may be hit this cylinder unit when it swing?
                      Addy

Comment

OK I have done some measuring...

The bandit arm is 220mm @ the pivot point. The GS swing is 220mm at the pivot point without the end caps so they are identical. The GS has to much lip on the end caps but they can be trimmed and use them for the bandit arm (they fit) That will make the arm exactly the same size as the stock arm.....how nice is that. I am making an inner bush pics to follow with a 3mm colar inplace of the stock gs end caps and thrust washers.

Problem two....The rear brake return spring nub hits the arm so it needs to be cut off and the return spring attachment relocated (big deal...not a problem) The stopper pad welded to the frame used to adjust peddle height and to stop the peddle is way too long. It needs to be trimmed only not removed. The rotating brake mechanism that the rear brake peddle turns needs to be altered and the frame mounting hole it slides through needs to be ground a couple of mm. This would require a washer between the brake peddle itself and the frame. I think a couple of mm will do it.

The brake plunger arm I don't think will interfere with the arm but if it does there is room to space it out with a couple of washers if at all.

This is only a problem with the katana. With the 1100E the peg mounts come off and a set of rear sets can be mounted which makes it an even better aternative for them.

shock mounts are straight foreward. all I have to decide is what kinf of mounts...do I go modern and use an "EYE' mount or go stock with the "CLEVIS" mount. The eye mount gives me more selection.

On the other end....the bandit 1200 arm is 253mm...the stock gs1100 arm is 260mm..BUT.. the GS arm itself is narrower. If the fork legs themselves came all the way back to the axle it would be narrower than the bandit arm. also the gs arm has two chain adjusters that are 3.25mm each which is 6.5mm narrower and makes the two arms 1/2mm out from being the same because the bandit arm has ouside adjusters.

The bandit pivot bolt is 20mm..The GS is 16mm..so I can do two things..

1. bore 20mm holes into my frame but I have to get a longer bolt because the bandit bolt is to short...or..

2. sleeve the bandit arm down to 16mm..I think I will do that.

I will get some shots of what I am talking about and post them on my other site with a link so anyone who cares to can check them out.

This arm looks killer and is perfect for my armless brake caliper mod I am going to do and an easy arm to brace.

Oh..one other thing. The mono shock shaft mounting area on the arm needs to be ground/cut off/down because it hits the battery box.

Sounds like a lot but after what I have had to do so far on this project it is a bolt on.
                        KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

When i used the GSXR arm I was able to swap the pivot bearings with GS one's.

Good luck
                          1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                          1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                          1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                          1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                          01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

I can do that too with the bandit but the gs's are too short and don't have the 3.4mm collar on them. It was close though.

Thanks Jake.
                            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

CORRECTION,

the bandit arm is 7mm narrower than the GS .... BUT.... I neglected to factor in the (2) 3.5mm chain adjusters on the GS swing. The bandit arm does not have them so they are virtually identical.
                              KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Hey Rob on your next future project you got to try one of these's.

Can you say Fun, Fun, Fun or Fast, Fast, Fast
                                1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                                1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                                1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                                1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                                01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Working...
                                X