No announcement yet.

Why do modern bikes feel so precise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want a bike that feels like it driving iteslf and all you do is sit there..then have the wife drive and sit biitch.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
      If you want a bike that feels like it driving iteslf and all you do is sit there..then have the wife drive and sit biitch.
      WTF, Chuck?

Left field much?
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

LMAO- so true

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Or modern cartridge type right side up ones.
          That are lighter than the USD forks
          With the added bonus of not wearing the chrome out on the fork tubes
          sigpicJohn Kat
          My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
          GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

No Tom...A bike is made to be ridden. You know, a combined EXPERIENCE which involves some operator involvement.

To me, todays bikes are to over thought and absolutely boring. EFI, a light that signals if there dog sh!t in the road...blah blah blah. If I had a bike like that it wouldnt ever get ridden and would be unexciting. Like i said, if anyone wants a bike thats gonna do everything for you they are better off riding biitch. That way they can be unengaged and be able to gaze off into the fields and watch birdies fly by.
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

No Tom...A bike is made to be ridden. You know, a combined EXPERIENCE which involves some operator involvement.

To me, todays bikes are to over thought and absolutely boring. EFI, a light that signals if there dog sh!t in the road...blah blah blah. If I had a bike like that it wouldnt ever get ridden and would be unexciting. Like i said, if anyone wants a bike thats gonna do everything for you they are better off riding biitch. That way they can be unengaged and be able to gaze off into the fields and watch birdies fly by.
              I don't thing John kat was asking the bike to drive itself!

He simply was wondering why today's bikes are so much more crisp than yesteryear bikes.

You can have something that is more precise and still require as much skill as an unprecise machine.

More precise machines can have a higher limit of handling that puts the driver in a more challenging and exciting level of experience.

Take a less precise machine and you are approaching or exceeding the safety limits and you get just as thrilling a ride but nowhere near the limit of the new more precise machine.

Same idea, newer more precise, or older less precise. It's all about the level of performance one wants to reach.

If it makes you feel like a bigger man because you try to push the antiquated unprecise machine at or over its limits then great for you.

That's does not mean you can do the same to a more modern precise machine. The majority of the new super bike owners probably never approach the handling limits of their machine, nor do they sit back and gaze off into the fields. statement from chuck!

I have returned back to motorcycles this year after a 13 year hiatus. I built my 1000/1085 with a Bandit 1200 front end and rear wheel with far superior brakes and now handling. Why did I do it? For a safer superior feel and braking performance. Will I drive the bike to its limits? I doubt it very much, not for a while anyways as I am relearning how to drive again

My balls are still the same size! Actually smaller sometimes because of the power and handling that my current 1000 has over my previous 2 1000's.

Cheers
              1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
              1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Hiya John
                My opinion.
                There are many factors to the more precise feel. One, the stiffer forks and swing arm. But more the better control the cartridge has over the orifice damper rods. But perhaps, it is more a function of the smaller wheel and tire with less rotating inertia? The steeper head angle and different/less trail improves the handling but could lead to "less precise" handling. And perhaps the reduction in the un sprung mass as well?
                I don't consider the frame material and design a big factor on the street as you wouldn't be pushing it hard enough to find the limits. Or at least, you shouldn't be.
                Isn't it all about control?
                The stiffer springs do help, though just a little. The rate of dive and compression will lead to a better feeling versus the older damper rod system.
                I just compare my old '07 GSXR1K to anything else and it is like light years in difference. Though I am not too thrilled about the fatigue resistance of aluminum frames.
                Maybe this helps?
                Laters
                Greg
                sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.:eek:

Comment

Chuck, once again you are clueless. Go ride a new Aprilia, Hyabusa or KTM and tell me you don't need to be a rider. Go ahead, ride it hard. Push the bike to it's limits. If you can.

If anything, it requires you to be a better rider. The higher speeds and incredible power require you to be quicker, sharper, stronger, just better.
                  The lack of suspension problems, poor brakes and carburetion issues allows you to spend more time riding, and less time correcting for inadequate BS.

Old bikes are amusing, new bikes are amazing.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

technology.

I think lighter weight is the #1 factor
                    once a 30HP bike was 400# now a 120HP bike is 400#

rake / trail / stem offset combinations in the front geometry would be my choice for #2 make a light bike feel like it is lighter

the amount of aluminum in today's bikes which transfer vibration differently to the handlebars and foot pegs. close tie for #3

radial tires matched to the total geometry of a specific motorcycle. might be the real answer.

mild steel and floppy bias ply tires make me happy
                    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I find new bike styling and all the whiz bang bullcrap as boring as watching ice melt. I like what I was raised up on. Good enough then is good enough now for me.

Why do you ASSUME that I havent rode the newer bikes? I have ridden new Honda CBRs, Ducatis, An Aprillia, a few different Harleys, Gold Wings, just to name a few. And not one has won me over like the GSs have. I dont think I would even want a bike newer than say 1985 honestly.
                      Last edited by chuck hahn; 10-12-2013, 12:39 PM.

Comment

I also forgot about the crankshaft and clutch baskets rotating inertia as well. Though these do not contribute to the precise feeling, they do help in the handling. Transition and actual turning.
                        Later
                        G
                        sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                        2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                        Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                        '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.:eek:

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
                          I don't thing John kat was asking the bike to drive itself!

He simply was wondering why today's bikes are so much more crisp than yesteryear bikes.

You can have something that is more precise and still require as much skill as an unprecise machine.

More precise machines can have a higher limit of handling that puts the driver in a more challenging and exciting level of experience.

Take a less precise machine and you are approaching or exceeding the safety limits and you get just as thrilling a ride but nowhere near the limit of the new more precise machine.

Same idea, newer more precise, or older less precise. It's all about the level of performance one wants to reach.

If it makes you feel like a bigger man because you try to push the antiquated unprecise machine at or over its limits then great for you.

That's does not mean you can do the same to a more modern precise machine. The majority of the new super bike owners probably never approach the handling limits of their machine, nor do they sit back and gaze off into the fields. statement from chuck!

I have returned back to motorcycles this year after a 13 year hiatus. I built my 1000/1085 with a Bandit 1200 front end and rear wheel with far superior brakes and now handling. Why did I do it? For a safer superior feel and braking performance. Will I drive the bike to its limits? I doubt it very much, not for a while anyways as I am relearning how to drive again

My balls are still the same size! Actually smaller sometimes because of the power and handling that my current 1000 has over my previous 2 1000's.

Cheers
                          I could not have worded a better answer
                          Thanks!
                          sigpicJohn Kat
                          My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                          GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

My comment wasnt worded toward John..was directed at the new bikes as a whole....boring and unengaging.

Comment

Modern bikes, (when referenced against the GS suzuki's) are any thing less than 20 or25 years
                              Modern bikes feel more precise and planted, mostly because the wheels are in full contact with the ground more of the time than with the GS pogo stick over sprung under damped p.o.s. "Suspension systems"There are other factors, but suspension is the most significant.specifically spring rates and damping.
                              I don't believe the "styling and whiz bang bull crap"has anything to do with precise planted handling.
                              GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

If a GS isnt solid enough then it needs some maintenance.
                                None of mine bounce, jump, jiggle, wander, weave, twitch, slouch or anything else. Go from 0 to full open and nothing but fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X