No announcement yet.

Why do modern bikes feel so precise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My vote is more rigid frames, swingarms, bigger bearings in wheels, swingarms and steering heads, more rigid forks. Better suspension plays a huge part too, a bike with a super plush and properly damped suspension always feels more precise and accuate than a bouncy or harsh one. Same with the wider wheels, better tires and real brakes.

I like the old bikes too, but here is absolutely no comparison in the ride and handling.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I for one can say that just changing the front and rear suspension will make a world of difference. I have my 78 GS1000[ Roadkill] with 96 bandit suspension and modern brakes , wheels and tires. and it handles very comparable to the Kawasaki ZRX that I just sold this past spring, But I also have a 80 GS1000 in stock form [except for ss brake lines] and the two don't even compare. I won't say that the old '80' handles poorly, [as few who have ridden with me can attest] but I could ride circles around it on the '78' with the updated suspension.I also don't believe that there is a large amount of frame flex in these older GS's, I believe the frames to be as rigid as any of the newer stuff, maybe stiffer in some instances.
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
        Sorry, it's not the stiffness as I tried .95 kg/mm springs in my GSXR G/H fork.
        It helps for sure but it's not the answer...
        The triple clamp offset will change the trail of the bike and thus the effort needed to point the bike in another direction.
        It has no impact on how precise and taught the bike feels.
        More trail gives the bike a truck like feel.
        Exactly what I experienced with experiment N°3: a 19" wheel combined with a very small triple tree offset
        I meant the physical stiffness of the forks, not the spring rate.
        Trail most definitely can affect how precise and taut a bike feels. Not as much as some other factors, but certainly noticeable.
        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

The real difference is "Mass Centralization" this is why new bikes are so refined almost to the point of boredom.

Last edited by Guest; 10-12-2013, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
            The real difference is "Mass Centralization" this is why new bikes are so refined almost to the point of boredom.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fe...mass_movement/
            I agree that the feel of newer sport bikes is more fundamental than suspension changes. Having said that it is also the combination of things that go into a modern bike. But even if you upgrade an old gs you are not going to drop the weight, wheel base and " moments of inertia" down to the level of modern bikes. mass centralization is basically the reduction Of the rotational moments of inertia. MOI is the resistance to changes in rotational speed and direction.

Having maxed of the performance of my relatively stock gs1100ed with sport demons, progressive spings, cartridge emulatiors and Ohlins rear shocks, there was a big leap forward in handling/stability going to wide wheels and radials that you just don't get with the tall profile bias ply tires. I also had a bandit swing arm added in there so I don't know how to factor that put completely but I would guess it is much less noticeable than the wheel/tire upgrade.
            Last edited by posplayr; 10-12-2013, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
              this is why new bikes are so refined almost to the point of boredom.
              What, are you riding Hondas?

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                Having maxed of the performance of my relatively stock gs1100ed with sport demons, progressive spings, cartridge emulatiors and Ohlins rear shocks, there was a big leap forward in handling/stability going to wide wheels and radials that you just don't get with the tall profile bias ply tires. I also had a bandit swing arm added in there so I don't know how to factor that put completely but I would guess it is much less noticeable than the wheel/tire upgrade.
                Hi Jim,
                Here's my GS 1000 XP in the latest configuration that I've been discussing in this thread.
                You will recognize your wheels
                It's a pity that the GSR members here couldn't take a ride on my bike throughout it's evolution to really feel the quantum jump the cartridge type forks ( with the right rear shocks) bring to the roadholding...
                Having gone myself from a very similar configuration to yours, I urge you to go to the next step and feel the difference
                I must admit however that it will most probably be less confortable...
                By the way the article on mass centralization must be wrong when it is stated that "the rotational axis is the steering head"?
                What is rotating around what?
                Nevermind, I'm having a LOT of fun with an antiquated bike that behaves ( almost) like a modern one at least from a roadholding perspective
                Last edited by John Kat; 10-13-2013, 10:27 AM.
                sigpicJohn Kat
                My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  What, are you riding Hondas?

I have two

Comment

Suspensions, brakes and frames. I have 3 modern Triumph's. I buy them because of the suspensions. Our roads suck huge and they seem to be the only bike that soaks up ****ty roads. Modern sport bikes are made to handle well on the track also, this requires very rigid frames for better feed back. It also makes for a very stiff ride. GS's imo, work best with, wire wheels, laced up with hd spokes and wider rims. 18" front and back.18 inch front make turn in much nicer. Take every ounce of weight off you can by with. Use the updated brakes here on the forum with HH pads. I converted my rear brake set up with a Fz-1 rear set up with gs550es rotors. Saved weight and centalized mass. Found a place to get parts to weld my own exhaust canister.Saved weight again and looks like motogp, also centralized mass and if it tips over wont destroy my unobtainium Bassani. Suspension. Get race tech valves for the front, new bushings and have them done and set up PROPERLY. Dont be a cheapskate. Do it right or dont do it at all. Rears need to be modern also, they need dampning and rebound adjustments. When all done properly and working together, GS's work great, but a lot of work, patience and money to get there. The end result will amaze you and surprise the young squids.
                    Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple:twistedevil:, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                    Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                    Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Chuck, once again you are clueless. Go ride a new Aprilia, Hyabusa or KTM and tell me you don't need to be a rider. Go ahead, ride it hard. Push the bike to it's limits. If you can.

If anything, it requires you to be a better rider. The higher speeds and incredible power require you to be quicker, sharper, stronger, just better.
                      The lack of suspension problems, poor brakes and carburetion issues allows you to spend more time riding, and less time correcting for inadequate BS.

Old bikes are amusing, new bikes are amazing.
                      Agreed..... New bike power is hard to describe.

Comment

As i said before..ive ridden many new bikes from the early 2000s and newer and not interested in any of them...once old school always old school for me!!!

Thats just my personal preference I guess
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                          As i said before..ive ridden many new bikes from the early 2000s and newer and not interested in any of them...once old school always old school for me!!!

Really?, enough already post whore...hope this isn't rude, but i just gotta say...
                          your commentary has nothing to do with "why do modern motorbikes feel so precise"
                          message received in your first post to this thread, even though it was right out of left field, I just assumed you were drunk or something.
                          I get it, you are not interested, go post in another thread..... bash a harley, contribute somehow, a joke or some humour even, either that or STFU
                          Last edited by derwood; 10-20-2013, 10:16 PM.
                          GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post

Modern bikes feel so precise because you don't like them?

I'm guessing that's not the real reason.

OK.

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
                              Suspensions, brakes and frames. I have 3 modern Triumph's. I buy them because of the suspensions. Our roads suck huge and they seem to be the only bike that soaks up ****ty roads. Modern sport bikes are made to handle well on the track also, this requires very rigid frames for better feed back. It also makes for a very stiff ride. GS's imo, work best with, wire wheels, laced up with hd spokes and wider rims. 18" front and back.18 inch front make turn in much nicer. Take every ounce of weight off you can by with. Use the updated brakes here on the forum with HH pads. I converted my rear brake set up with a Fz-1 rear set up with gs550es rotors. Saved weight and centalized mass. Found a place to get parts to weld my own exhaust canister.Saved weight again and looks like motogp, also centralized mass and if it tips over wont destroy my unobtainium Bassani. Suspension. Get race tech valves for the front, new bushings and have them done and set up PROPERLY. Dont be a cheapskate. Do it right or dont do it at all. Rears need to be modern also, they need dampning and rebound adjustments. When all done properly and working together, GS's work great, but a lot of work, patience and money to get there. The end result will amaze you and surprise the young squids.
                              I believe you missed my point
                              Lightening the bike and Racetech valves will go a long way in improving the std GS 1000 BUT...the feel of the modern sports bike ( I'm not talking about Triumphs ) will only come with cartridge type forks and De Carbon rear shocks.
                              By the way the GSXR 1100 1st gen wheels are WAY lighter than GS 750 type spoke wheels
                              Here's the bike before the move to cartridge type forks:

And the same with the cartridge forks

Notice that I kept the 18" wheels in both cases
                              sigpicJohn Kat
                              My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                              GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Pardon my ignorance John (I'm still learning every day), but what are the white wheels from Posplayr? I've been reading a lot into first generation GSXR 18" mags, but thought they were the only "suitable" 18" mag wheel.

Comment

Working...
                                X