gsxr suspension question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gsxr suspension question

I know I want to upgrade my suspension this winter not really sure what I want to do yet. Been clicking around reading, noticed a 97 gsxr 600 for parts on craigslist. Would this be a suitable bike for my 550? most the threads I'm finding are about gsxr1000's and I can't tell if that's because you guys ride bigger gs's or the clearance would be low on my bike as well. Not entirely sure what I need in the rear either. I'm assuming the wheel/brake assembly but would I take the shocks too? Haven't talked to the guy at all so not sure what his deal is. He's asking $500 for the whole bike I feel like If I can pay half that for the parts I need it still would be a decent deal. No title So I'm not trying to pick up the whole thing. Been down that rabbit hole once already.

Check to see if the bearings are the same size. I saw a 79 1100 that used Early 90's RSU GSXR forks and. Did some checking and noticed that the 79 used the exact same stem bearings as my 82 550M so I could do the same swap if I wanted.

The rear I feel is more complicated and probably requires the most custom work unless someone knows an almost drop in upgrade. I too have not seen much for the 550/650 crowd in this area. Maybe you could blaze a trail for us!
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

I believe the areas of concern are the following:
      1) weight
      It would be a pity to increase the weight of the bike following the modifications.
      One of the lightest options is to go with GSXR 1st gen components but they could be difficult to find?
      2) frame width
      The frame width will limit the size of the rear wheel.
      I would suggest analysing this first as the choice of the rear wheel will govern the front at least if you want to keep the same style wheel.
      3) ground clearance
      This is probably a lesser concern on the GS 550 as the engine is surely narrower than the 1000/1100 but must be investigated.
      sigpicJohn Kat
      My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
      GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Both my 1982 1100 sz Katana (the real one) and my 1984 gsx750 ef run on 1989 GSXR1100k forks and triple trees with no problems.

I run the kat with a custom top yoke with standard bottom one, the 750 uses standard 1100k top and bottom yokes.

As for rear wheels a good tip is use a 4.5 x17 bandit 600 rim BUT if you use the gs500 twin cush drive it fits the narrower swinging arms of the early gs range and gives plenty of chain clearance with a 150/70 tyre

As for rear brake use the bandit disc but combine it with the rear caliper and mount from a 1990's model gsx750f katana (not the real one) -the one that mounts above the axle.

Comment

Thanks for the info I've definitely got some things to look into. The guy wasn't thrilled with my offer (don't blame him) but he was pretty quick to drop it to $400 for the lot. Going to give it some time I'm in no rush, seems like neither of us want to get stuck holding that frame/engine.
          Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
          The rear I feel is more complicated and probably requires the most custom work unless someone knows an almost drop in upgrade. I too have not seen much for the 550/650 crowd in this area. Maybe you could blaze a trail for us!
          I started looking into this after seeing this build: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...&highlight=550
          He put an 1100e swingarm in without too much fuss I think he just bored out the frame 1mm. However I believe his donor was an early 90's gsxr. Based on what you and john are saying I should worry about that first. Hopefully some older gsxrs pop up on my radar I've seen a few listings that look like they are going to be parted out if no one picks them up.

Comment

The wheels from the 97 onwards gsxrs will fit in a gsxr1100 swing arm but not without a lot of machining of the sprocket carrier & a custom brake hanger. I have the same in my kat. Wasn't easy but it does work. I would suggest looking at earlier models for an easier time.
            Nick

Comment

I'm not hell bent on the 97. I've been browsing craigslist with the tire/sprocket etc charts open. Deffinately looks like a much cleaner swap on earlier models. Looking at 92 katana750 right now looks much easier.

Comment

Well, I will be following closely to see what you come up with. Keep us posted.
                1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Originally posted by ezmack View Post
                  I know I want to upgrade my suspension this winter not really sure what I want to do yet. Been clicking around reading, noticed a 97 gsxr 600 for parts on craigslist. Would this be a suitable bike for my 550? most the threads I'm finding are about gsxr1000's and I can't tell if that's because you guys ride bigger gs's or the clearance would be low on my bike as well. Not entirely sure what I need in the rear either. I'm assuming the wheel/brake assembly but would I take the shocks too? Haven't talked to the guy at all so not sure what his deal is. He's asking $500 for the whole bike I feel like If I can pay half that for the parts I need it still would be a decent deal. No title So I'm not trying to pick up the whole thing. Been down that rabbit hole once already.
                  Search ebay or craiglist to find you a complete race gsxr,then u have allmost everything u need, i`ve seen some guy fit a 5,5x17" magwheel and swing to a similar bike, i amdoing a97 usd front on my77 400..
                  looks good!

Comment

Working...
                  X