Rear-sets for GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear-sets for GS

I may be having a problem with the search function... I'll add that to the appropriate page next..

Is there a recommendation for rear sets for a '76 GS750? I'd like to retain the kickstart. I'm looking forward to fabrication this myself if possible if the right inspiration hits me. I believe purpose made parts in 12g. ms, delicately welded could be lighter and more paintable than the multi-fit aluminum kits; I am ok with being wrong on this.

The more links and pics the better! This is obviously the first time I have attempted this and I've had trouble searching from my iPhone so I'm gonna put it out there for all to see

Thanks loads!
    Thom

Raask are available "off the shelf" there are others too... Tarrozzi come to mind

Comment

See these guys:

Comment

Good quality from Dan Moto

Motorcycle, Racing, shop, online shopping, store, Exhaust, Billet, Chopper, Harley, Suzuki, Carbon Fiber, Titanium, Rearset, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda, Bike, Muffler, Full System
        80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Nice options. I can see why nobody DIYs rear sets.

Comment

If you're planning on racing your bike, don't forget that one of the reasons to run rearsets is easy fixability. If you go down in practice and have 20 minutes before your race start (for example), a good set of rearsets either won't break, or will let you swap out the parts in time to make your start.

If you make your own, make two of everything that could break, run one set on the bike and keep the other in your spares bin.

Comment

Ditto on what isleoman said, you can find stock bits for plenty of sportbikes on classifieds, then all you need to do is make some mounting plates. And yes, it'll take twice as long as you think it will! (:

And like I said below, buy two of everything!

Comment

Thanks isleoman, these are the images I wanted, that is a great looking job. I am envious of the welding talent demonstrated, I will be mig welding. Any Aluminum welding will involve bringing parts to work but the frame and MS can be done at home.

While I won't be racing competitively I can see the need for spares on hand. I've found the bolt on components to make this work, thanks Patrino!

Comment

I am in the process of making some mounts for some GSXR rearsets.

The problems I encountered were more of a "How do I want them positioned before making it permanent?"

I think my solution will be to use a c-channel that I will mill a slot in. Open on one end, I can slide in some carriage bolts to bolt up to the rearset flanges.

The c-channel can be welded to the rear tube of the frame, and the acorn nuts of the rearset brackets can be loosened to allow the bracket to slide up or down the c-channel bracket.

See the first image in the gallery here:

Again, those images are for reference only. I just saved a variety of images of GS bikes with rearsets for anyone who wants to see some.

Comment

I was just in Barnes and Noble and was reading a recent issue of cafe racer magazine. They have an article explaining how someone put on the Raask rearsets from a GSXR on their GS750. Forget the year but think it was a 79. I just happen to have a set of Raask rearsets from my 86 GSXR. Maybe I'll align them up to set how close they come to fitting.
                    1979 GS850G
                    2004 SV650N track bike
                    2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                    LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Finished up my idea for the rear-set brackets, and they worked out really well.

Couple pics:

Used GSXR rearsets.

Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2014, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman
                        I'm not a structural engineer.
                        I am an engineer.

Actually, you see a lot of "over-engineered" things from people who have no clue about mechanical design. The loads are distributed properly, and the edges of the bracket are constrained by the weldment. The stress distribution is spread out evenly with proper torque of the hardware.

For something like this, I'd design typically a 2-3 F.o.s, and in this case, it's actually 3.67 with rider weight, and 1.67 for full force 19ksi shock.

The part, the method, and the execution is completely safe I assure you.

Comment

Brent,
                          I love the adjustable rearsets! it's really a novel and clean execution of the normal swiss cheese pegboard idea.

I'm sure you'll jump up and down on them as your final test. At first glance my armchair engineer inside said the same thing. But good welding, strong steel, and the right hardware, I'm sure they'll stand up to it.

And the picture of your computerized analysis makes me giddy with envy.

I just bought some ZX12R rearsets. I'm taking serious notes from you and Isleoman. His are simply gorgeous/elegant, and yours are pure engineering genius.

I had no plans to update the rearsets, but because of you two, I'm there. And I guarantee I'll have some questions for the two of you.

-Kevin

Comment

Sorry for the thread necrophilia, how have these held up @MK3Brent? If you had a spare set of channels laying around I bet I could find a good home...

Comment

Working...
                            X