Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Dreaded "Help me with jetting - pods & exhaust" Post

Let me just say before I get too harassed:

I already understand the difficulties and frustration I have in store with pods and VM carbs, but I believe it will be a great learning
    curve and what better way to get familiar with your carb & tuning. Now to the details...

Subject:
    1977 Suzuki GS750 B

Modifications:
    K&N RC-2222 Filters (Link)
    Stock 4-2 exhaust (baffle removed & replaced with higher flowing baffles off a vtx 1800 which were shortened to 6")

Stock/Existing Jets:
    Pilot: 15
    Main: 100

Thoughts:
    I am thinking about raising the Pilot by 1 = 17.5 (Necessary?)

Raise the needle 1 clip

Main-jet: I was thinking 115 to start. (Too small?)

Conclusion:

I have extensively searched the forum on this topic but I am still unsure what I need to get me "In the ballpark".

I ask for your knowledge/ tuning experience & settings because I am getting ready to take the plunge and order jets from Jets R Us.

I am also thinking I should go for the actual mikuni jets instead of generic, I figure the tolerances/quality are much different.

Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

Thank You
    Last edited by Guest; 04-02-2014, 11:06 PM. Reason: typo

Bump: Anyone?

Comment

Start here.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ight=jet+gs750

Comment

Stick with the 15 pilot, it's unlikely you'll a bigger jet. Lifting the needle one notch is good and 115 main jet may work but you may need to go a little larger 117.5 or 120. I bought from Jets R Us but I think Z1 are cheaper.

Good luck!
        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by Govee View Post

GREAT thread for those of use doing the 4 into 1 and pods. And going with Mikuni jets is probably the better bet.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Stick with the stock 15 pilot jet, the needle up 1-2 is a start , and you are probably going to need at least a 120 main. my guess is going to be 125. On my 1000 with Dual LEO VINCE slip on cans,[ From a Busa] stock air box with K&N filter and the cover removed I am running 125 jets , with pods you will be moving alot more air and the shortened cans
            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

first Boost the pilot - it feeds the bypass circuit which is in effect before the needle comes into effect. ever hear these guys talk about that hesitation? get the mixture screw in tight to get it to idle drop in. 1.5 turns is better than 4 turns out- it gives you more control of the actual fuel circuit you ride on

boost the main - start at 110 because steps of 10% will waste less of your time -- when you get too fat go back to a leaner setting, a half step if available. I use the choke test when tuning the main -- wide open and give it choke when it kills your power you are too fat

last step make the needle adjustments -- remember that weather will change things but if you get the first two in perfect it will be less of a riding hassle in the wind and when conditions really change.
              SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Wow thanks, Lots of really good advice, I appreciate it and helps out greatly... : ) I think the choke/ wide open test is a great idea.

Thank You

Comment

Hey Halz, did you ever get the bike running properly? Also did those K&N RC-2222's mount right onto your carbs with the correct stock fitting? I'm hoping to use these same filters on my '77 GS550 but I'm not sure if your VM26 carbs are different in size from my stock VM22's. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X