Opinions on 2V GS750 head work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on 2V GS750 head work?

I have a 79 GS750 with 35,000 on the clock. I also intern at a performance motor shop. Got talking and one of the head guys offered to do some head work for me for free. It would be just the basic stuff, new valve seals, lapping the valves, porting the runners. If i took the head off i'd also do a top end gasket set. Just wondering if its worth it to pull the head if thats all I'm going to do. It burns a little oil as it is now, but really only when it's cold. I always figured i'd just try and find a GS1000 motor to swap into the bike, or in the least an 850 top end. Any thoughts?

If you are going to swap in an engine, look for an 1100 or 1150.

Comment

Ok, ill keep a look out for an 1100, but thats still on hold for at least 1 or 2 years..

Comment

If you don't mind spending on a few gaskets, and your engine swap is long term, nothing wrong with a little head work to pep it up in the mean time.
        Pulling and refitting the head is really no big deal, it is a simple, straight forward affair.
        While the head is off, you might want to pull the barrels and throw in a new set of rings and a new base gasket, then you know that the motor is good for 100 000 miles.

Comment

Alright. I'm probably going to pull the head then. Are the head bolts reusable at all? Is there any tips or such for pulling the head? This is my first time pulling a head like this. After looking at the the service manual im still unsure of some things. How do i make sure to keep the cams in time when reinstalling them, and what are the tourque values are.
          Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2014, 10:13 PM.

Comment

You could buy my kit....

David
            1998 Suzuki Bandit
            1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
            1978 GS1000 - gone
            1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

I might be interested in that kit of yours dave. Ill have to talk with my coworker tomorrow and see how things go.

Comment

There are no head bolts, there are studs with nuts, the nuts are reusable, just replace the copper washers, however they should be included in the gasket kit.
                One tip, there is a hidden bolt, if you don't know about it you will drive yourself insane trying to get the head off, and probably land up breaking something.
                It is an M6 bolt between the 2 and 3 headers at the bottom of the can chain tunnel casting, someone at Suzuki had a wicked sense of humour.
                Another tip, prevent you cam chain from falling down into the crank case by tying it to the frame member, you will see what I mean, otherwise it is a fishing expedition for you to fish it out.

Cam timing 101, real simple.......
                Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Comment

The 8-valve engines are darn near bullet proof. At 35k and 35 years old, it's almost broken-in.

If it were mine, I personally wouldn't touch it until there was a problem. Yeah, the work might be free but the parts are not. If your friend is going to teach you how to do all that stuff, it would probably be worth it. (You're an intern, so that's what you're there for, right?) If not, you would be better served by waiting until it _has_ to be done and then just following the factory service manual and a few YouTube videos.
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Here is the hidden bolt.
                    You may want to go trawl through my rebuild thread, lots of info there.

Comment

I'm in agreement, I wouldn't touch it if there's no issues. Fix it when there's a problem. What do you want from the bike? more speed? play around with the engine? if it's more speed the 1000 engine is a straight bolt in. If it's play around with the engine then go with the 850 head or start buying performance parts like the piston set mentioned.
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Im honestly not sure. I love engine work, and like i said didn't really plan on anything for a couple years. Most of my reasoning behind this is because im at the internship, and its a way to learn on my own bike, whilst fixing some of the problems. Couple that with the fact that all the head work can be done there at zero cost, and i can bore the jugs there at no cost too. Whats another $300 bucks for pistons and gaskets to make it run like brand new? Perhaps with the 850 kit, i won't want to put a 1000 in it.

Comment

Originally posted by NBraun View Post
                          Perhaps with the 850 kit, i won't want to put a 1000 in it.
                          Yeah. You will.
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by NBraun View Post
                            I might be interested in that kit of yours dave. Ill have to talk with my coworker tomorrow and see how things go.
                            Just let me know...You do have some good choices. If you are going to open it up you might as well do that kit. That is what I was going to do but I sold my 750. The 1000 engine is also a nice option but that is another path. Take your time. Best wishes......
                            David
                            1998 Suzuki Bandit
                            1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
                            1978 GS1000 - gone
                            1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

I think i made my decision...

Comment

Working...
                              X