Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any concensus on what's the best steel brake line??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any concensus on what's the best steel brake line??

I think I'm going to get some to replace my 23 yr old lines 8O and wondered what is the preferred?? Russell? HEL? Goodridge? might have a line on some Russell...

also, I've only seen a few, but they're smaller than mine, is it just because the steel can be thinner with the same strength or can you go down in inside diameter without hurting performance??

also, can you got to a straight bolt in as opposed to the banjo bolt with these or should there always be a banjo?

thanks a ton!!

They are all basically the same. I think at one time or another I`ve used them all. Last year I put a set of russells on one of 1150`s. Really make a difference. Yes they are smaller due to the metal being stronger and the inner core of different material. Its not a big deal to make your own if you are close to a speed shop. I had to make the rear line for the 1150 because they are no longer made. I used Earl`s lines and fittings.

Comment

did you just get a roll and start fabricating?? I suppose you need a special cutter and a crimper, maybe something to help spread the forces of the crimps down the line a bit? maybe I should start a new business, cause none of the places I've looked are cheap!! 8O

Comment

yes you still have to use banjo bolt.you can purchase new with lines if needed

Comment

You can buy line with a adapter already made on each end then just screww the fitting or banjo in you need to complete the line. Very simple. You just need to know the length including the fittings.

Comment

I have Russell's. Bit expensive, but I'm happy with 'em.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
              About how much are we talking about for the Russell lines?

Comment

I have Russell lines on the GS and Goodrich on the TL. Goodrich has a better finish and are plastic coated. The Russell's were bought 15 years ago for the GS, so they might be better finished now. Either way they do make a noticable difference. Combined with premium rubber and pads, two fingers gets the job done. Good Luck, Ed.
                1983 GS750ED
                2001 TL1000S
                http://groups.msn.com/SuzukiGSGarage...o&PhotoID=3191

Comment

Originally posted by fastpakr
                  Back in '00, for my '79 GS1000E, the rear were $47 and the front (dual disc) were $118. Like I said, expensive, but they were made perfect. No leaks or bends that stick out and they have nice chrome fittings and clear protective tubing.
                  I have a close up of them at my website if you want to see them. Just click the WWW symbol below.
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by fastpakr
                    Back in '00, for my '79 GS1000E, the rear were $47 and the front (dual disc) were $118. Like I said, expensive, but they were made perfect. No leaks or bends that stick out and they have nice chrome fittings and clear protective tubing.
                    I have a close up of them at my website if you want to see them. Just click the WWW symbol below.
                    I also installed Russel lines many years ago, over 10, less than 15.
                    Price was about what Keith quoted, and fit perfect.

yes the ydon't have plastic coating, no performance advantage.
                    Disadvantage? non realy since they fit so well they don't rub anywhere.

Still work
                    Keith
                    -------------------------------------------
                    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Keith (or anybody else) - do you know where you can buy them online? I found a reference on Russell's website that they do indeed make a set for the 82 750E, but I'd like to find a place to confirm pricing and to order from, in a month or so.

Comment

Dennis Kirk deals with Russell

Comment

I didn't think that Dennis Kirk stocked the russell kits that were specifically made for our bikes anymore. I had a tough time finding a set for my 82 1100e. You might want to try flanders (www.flandersco.com), where I got mine.

Jeff

Comment

Excellent, they had the prices right on the site. $106.95 for fronts, 42.95 rear, 12.95 per valve for the speed bleeders. Thanks for the link.

Comment

They list the Russell front lines at $175 for the '82 1100E....guess you guys got a heck of a deal!
                              '82 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                              X