Gsxr front end on my 83 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gsxr front end on my 83 750

Hi I'm a lucky guy my best friend has agreed to sell me a setup from a 93 Gsxr 750.
    I will get the complete frontend and I will get the rear end as well.

I noticed the front are roughly 3" shorter than my stock forks.
    Will this and the added weight on my Gs compared to the Gsxr be a big issue?
    I know it will bolt right in on but are there any other things to think about before doing the swap?

Also would it be possible to use the Gsxr rear shock on my stock GS setup?
    This forum really rocks so a big thanx in advance :mrgreen:
    Mikey

Since the '83 has the 16" wheel you're not going to lose the full 3". Just get the preload set up right for the rider/bike combo. 1" of sag is about right. That's the difference between the length of the fork fully extended the sitting on the ground with your weight in the seat. You can get a 4.5" GSXR wheel in the stock swingarm. The early GSXR shocks fit but finding one in much better shape than you have could be tough. I have a '97 shock that has the right fitting at the top of the shock. The bottom is different, but the shock is shorter than the GS shock so I am considering making a piece to bolt to the bottom of the shock that will fit the GS swingarm. That would also make up for the difference in length so I can play with ride height. That piece could be removed when I get around to installing a '93 swingarm.

Comment

what would i have to do in my case, if i wanted to swap a newer gsxr front end on my 1000. can i get a way with runing a front end from a early 90's gsxr1000/1100 front end or will i be loseing that extra 3 inches? should i just try and get a gs1100 e front end. can i use some of those newer gsxr600 front ends or are they just way to small?

i am just loking for a alternative to my stock forks, my upper tubes have a slight bend and i just did the seals after i noticed the bend in the uppers

swanny can you shed some light?

-ryan
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

As long as you have tapered steering head bearings it's an easy swap. Check out some of the ZX-R front ends. They are supposed to be longer than GSXR units.

Comment

Cool souns like I'm home free then.
          I also noticed the GS swing arm is 1" longer than the 93 gsxr750 swing arm.
          I seriously said to myself when I got the 750 (no mods) just ride it.
          What can I do when my best buddy says feel free to use the stuff as long as you want?
          Heck I even tried offering him$$$ for the stuff
          The only condition was to return the stuff if I were to sell the bike.
          Seriously my buddy is from Croatia and he will sniff out anything thats cheap and a good deal.
          To make him part with anything is a Different story LOL.
          I did notice a Katana 17" rim seems to have the same axle diameter as the gs and a quick lock lead me to belive it would fit right on to the forks?
          I will most likely do the transplant this coming weekend
          Mikey

Comment

Ryan I could sell you either one of my oem forks for cheap if it would help you?
            The 86 fork has antidive just like the 86 gsxr's a nd no extra hoses from the caliper going to the actual antidive unit.
            Let me know I have a complete set up sitting here
            Mikey

Comment

i maybe intrested, let see if i can get some opinions from others about this swap, i rember hearing that the late eighties stuff is not a very good update to the gs's (no insult ment)
              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x
              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Each year the GSXR's got better, remember the original 86 and 87 placed weight reduction at a premium, therefore the bikes were not overbuilt. The only other major drawback to the 86 and 87 bikes is that they were designed with 18in wheels-the bikes were superlight and steered quickly because of this and were given 18in wheels for stability. Rubber is now limited on the 18's compared to the 17's that came on the 1988 and newer bikes. Good Luck, Ed.
                1983 GS750ED
                2001 TL1000S

Comment

Hi I've been looking at it again.
                  How did you guys who did the swap solve the instrument cluster mounting?
                  Also I have installed a fairing mount from a 750 es model would there be a problem with the clearance for the fork?
                  Does the GS ignition lock work with the Gsxr 750 93 upper triple?
                  Will I lose my steering lock when mounting the new fork?
                  Someone here on the forum must have done this and encountered this.
                  I just want to get prepared before I start this project
                  Mikey

Comment

You can mount the GS switch in the Gixxer top clamp by slotting the mounting holes on the switch and using longer bolts with spacers. You will more than likely lose the steering lock. I had to cut the steering lock completely off my switch. Clearnce shouldn't be a problem with the fairing subframe. You will also have to bolt some sort of blocks to the top of the bottom triple to keep the fork tubes from hitting the tank. You also will have to do something for bars. Either clip ons or use handle bar mounts on the top triple with standard style bars. I used clamps with a superbike bend bar. Something like this will work, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=10066. You can use your guages if you want by making a set of adapters. When I first swapped I made L-shaped pieces out of aluminum to adapt the stock gusages. I've since gone to Gixxer guages. The GS speedo will be off anyway because of different wheel diameters.

Comment

Hi thanx Billy know I know what needs to be done before starting.
                      I hate starting on a easy project which turns in to a minor hell because of small things not thought of beforehand
                      I'm sure I'm not the only one who has learned this the hard way
                      Mike

Comment

wheel diameter and total sag

Two coments with regard to Billeys coments. First you will not gain back front ride height when you go from the 16 to the 17 inch wheel. In theory it would seem that you would gain back one half inch from this change but a 120-80-16 is actually taller than most 17 inch radial front tires. Modern radial tires have very short sidewalls that more than make up for the additional half inch gained with the larger rim. Compare the two tires side by side and you will quickly see what I mean. Secound, you may not be able to just crank up the preload to make up for the difference in weights between the two bikes. it depends on which year gsxr the forks come from(some vary considerably in wt) and how much you weigh. When you think of setting sag you have to consider two figures, Static sag and total sag. static sag is how much the bike settles the suspension with no rider on board and total sag is how much it settles with rider on board. If the spring is too light you will have to crank the preload so far to achieve your target for total sag that you will end up with no static sag and the bike will handle terribly. Lastly, you want at least one and a quarter inch total sag in the front but no more than one and a half, one inch total sag is not enough. Steve

Comment

sag

Oh, I almost frogot, you need at least 3/4 inch static sag in the front(some get better results at a full inch) If when you set your tatal sag at 1 and a half inch you find that you have less than 3/4 inch of static sag your springs are too soft and should be changed to a stiffer spring rate. This is suspension 101. If the sag is wrong nothing else you adjust will make the bike handle properly. It is the first step and the foundation of good bike handling. If you are happy with your bikes handling with incorrect sag settings it is because you have not ridden the bike when it is right. Getting a late model suspension on your bike is one thing, getting it to work is another. Remeber, springs are cheap compared to a front end swap. Why skimp when you are so close to getting it right. Steve

Comment

Working...
                          X