Clutch dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch dilemma

Digging into this gs1000 I wanted to have a peak at the clutch. Come to find the p/o must have put in to long of a bolt and it started shaving off part of the clutch basket and outer clutch fibers. I was planning on reinforcing the clutch eventually (falcion kit) question is should I try to salvage this one or just start with a new one? Looks like there's 2 different size springs in there?

find another basket
    there are meant to be 2 different size springs 3 of each
    i would strongly suggest taking the sump off to get out all the shaved aluminium and make sure the pickup screen is clean

Comment

long screw in a short hole...happens a lot on all big GS's.

Comment

Wow, that sure got ate up, yeah I would get another basket. Taking the oil pan off isn't a bad idea either, all those shavings had to go somewhere. New oil, filter, oil pick up screen should be cleaned as well.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Im going with the advise given. Get a new basket. Drop the pan and get to cleaning. While I'm in there I want to upgrade the clutch plates. What say the forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky13xx View Post
            Im going with the advise given. Get a new basket. Drop the pan and get to cleaning. While I'm in there I want to upgrade the clutch plates. What say the forum?
            When you get ready to put it all back together, get OEM gaskets for the clutch cover and oil pan.

As for the clutch fibers, you can go OEM, you can go EBC, or Barnetts. For the clutch springs, you can stay with the OEMs, go with the HD EBCs (they are about 12%-15% stronger then OEM, I have the EBCs on mine and they feel good) though I wouldn't go the Barnetts springs they are monsters. I had those on my 750, now, the mention EBCs are installed ( much much better). Check the steel ring spacers as well, if they check out with in specs, yer good to go.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

While I'm in there I want to upgrade the clutch plates.
              Why, has it been slipping? Even after putting in new OEM springs?
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

i have no problem with aftermarket gaskets for most area's...not all but most.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Why, has it been slipping? Even after putting in new OEM springs?
                  A little. Future plans for some mild engine upgrades. The only riding for this bike will be track/hills at a "spirited" pace. 3/4 of the fiber plates were shredded do to the long bolt, so I have to replace anyways. I'm just being proactive in exploring my options.

Comment

Took the forums advice and dropped the pan for a thorough cleaning. Ended up being a shavings mess. Ended up ordering a reinforced basket from Grumpy. Slapped it in with some fresh clutch plates/steels and trying the ebc springs. Trying to figure the best angle of the clutch release arm now. Any tips?

Comment

OEM plates with Barnett HD springs has been the ticket for me. No creeping, no swelling and no slipping. OEM plates cost more but they last a very long time and work well with the heavier springs.

If you have Falicon rework your basket they'll use heavy duty backing plate springs for all six and they'll replace the rivets with beefed up units and then weld them in place.
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-15-2014, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X