GS 1150 suspension swap ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1150 suspension swap ???

What is a good upgrade for the stock rear shock ?? are the 90's front non usd forks that much better than the stock forks ??

Ducati Monster M900 Shock works if you want to be cheap... not easy to adjust once fitted though.

Apart from being bigger dia the technology on most 90's non USD forks is the same as what you have... either one benefits from cartridge emulators..
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I found a Works aftermarket replacement on eBay a few years back. Got a pretty good deal, and it's rebuild-able and easy to adjust once installed.

I've heard people have had luck taking a newer mono and swapping the spring from the 1150 onto it. I haven't done this myself, though. The issue you'll contend with is any bike that you'd be taking the shock from is likely to be MUCH lighter than the 1150, so you'll get sag.

Comment

I too have a Works shock. Easy.

Comment

Ducati M900 shock is a great upgrade. I did it to mine along with new straight rate springs up front and had it set up by a suspension guru. Fantastic investment.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
            Ducati M900 shock is a great upgrade. I did it to mine along with new straight rate springs up front and had it set up by a suspension guru. Fantastic investment.
            And the spring is beefy enough?

Comment

Oh yeah ...
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Good news for 1150 pilots!

Comment

900 shock ??

found a couple on ebay what years will fit ??

Comment

90's through early 2000's. You may wish to fit your stock spring to the shock, but with the preload dialed up, I'm thrilled with the Duck spring.
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

90's through early 2000's. You may wish to fit your stock spring to the shock, but with the preload dialed up, I'm thrilled with the Duck spring.
                      Probably depends a bit on pilot heft!

Comment

I'm sure you're correct there, Mike. Still, I'm a heavy bastard, and with it cranked to full, the bike is a peach.
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

I'm sure you're correct there, Mike. Still, I'm a heavy bastard, and with it cranked to full, the bike is a peach.
                          Such a shame. I'm close to 200lbs and disregarded the Monster options for a while because I thought it wouldn't be enough. I rode many a bouncy mile while waiting for that Works to show up!

Comment

Can't say I could see a feathery 900 monster shock handling the unladen weight of a stock 1150, unless casual riding is in your repertoire. Never tried it, just speculating. 225lbs here and the Works with remote reservoir doesn't feel that great. Wasn't cheap either or maybe I'm cheap. Think it was around $700, several years ago. I guess the front end doesn't compliment the rear. It's better than stock, but I think my older dual Works feel better and are more compliant. Just an opinion though.
                            Last edited by Carter Turk; 07-08-2014, 11:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
                            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Check Salty Monk's comment here:

~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X