Air Box "Snorkel"????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Box "Snorkel"????

The air box for my ride is missing the tube that comes from bottom rear of box and goes up as if like a snorkel. Is this needed? What is it called? And why cant i find it on a parts fiche for my bike? like the one pictured here....

Originally posted by kjsamm View Post
    The air box for my ride is missing the tube that comes from bottom rear of box and goes up as if like a snorkel. Is this needed? What is it called? And why cant i find it on a parts fiche for my bike? like the one pictured here....
    My son has the 83 850G and when he took box and carbs off to change the starter he goofed and knocked the snorkel off. It was still sandwiched in there but not attached at the bottom. Bike had a flat spot and it effected performance until we figured out that is what happened. Back in place bike runs like it always did. To answer your question I think it IS needed. Check on ebay for one

Comment

I cant find it on ebay alone, only the air box as a whole. I could use a new airbox, its a little distorded. But im doing a bunch of maintenance to get it to a point that i can sell and upgrade to a larger bike. Like the gsx 1000/1100 maybe. But definitely 1000+. I dont see how that missing could cause a performance issue, it doesnt seem that it would block OR allow more airflow with or with out it? Right?????

Comment

It's not the quantity of air, it's the quality.

The snorkel will direct the air to all the right places and minimize the turbulence in the airbox.

Because of the lack of turbulence, the smaller opening of the snorkel will actually flow more (useable) air than the bottom opening of the airbox.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My '82 1100G runs MUCH better with it in place.
          It came without one. Had to get a whole airbox to get the snorkel.

What flatspot?

Comment

Mine is off at the moment. Crosswinds now cause flat spots and surging in the powerband. Moving my feet from the foot pegs to the hiway pegs makes a noticeable difference. When my new boots arrive it goes back on.

Comment

Think of it this way......If it wasn't needed the Suzuki engineers would not have had something there in the first place.

It's there for a reason. You and I may not understand why or what it does exactly, but, they put it there, so, it must do something.
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
              X