proper k&n filter oiling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

proper k&n filter oiling?

If properly oiled, do k&n pods stay a reddish color for quite some time? Mine seem to fade quickly to the plain gauze color with a little darker areas where some engine oil leaks blew oil vapor mist out of 37 year old seals & gaskets. I have the aerosol k&n filter oil cans. The k&n youtube tutorial demonstrates the squeeze bottle application only, so I'm a little unclear on the proper application.

I am getting ready to tune/jet/break in a new big bore engine, so I was concerned about getting this set up right so I get proper AFR and plug chop readings. I suspect I need to oil them a little more liberally.
    Last edited by Chuck78; 07-17-2014, 07:52 PM.
    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
    '79 GS425stock
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
    '78 GS1000C/1100

Directions on my sprayer so to get a good even coat. My filters stay red for a couple weeks and then dim down to a light grey.
    When I clean them I use dawn and a toothbrush then rinse from the inside
    Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2014, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Mine looks brand new, I have one fitted in my airbox and it is protected from the elements.
      Though I cannot say for sure I think the most likely cause of fading would be the sun.
      If it stays faded after cleaning and dry and only comes back to original color after oiling then I would be more apt to think thus.
      The oil is revitalizing the coating over the screen.
      Then fading occurs after oil is dried?
      I would wonder if the filters are past.
      I would wonder what a chop would look like after oiling and then after fading compared?
      Would the coating be worn enough not to hold the oil as needed?

Comment

I clean them probably more than I need to, maybe every couple months but it's easy. I would imagine a chop would look a tad rich immediately after oiling but only for a very short time.
        The bike lives in the garage except for Saturday canyon runs so I doubt the sun is causing them to fade.
        Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2014, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Clean em once a year if you don't ride much, the trapped dust helps the filtration. They should last you forever.

V
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I run my individual K&N pods through my ultrasonic cleaner at the end of every riding year. Works amazing.
            80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
              I run my individual K&N pods through my ultrasonic cleaner at the end of every riding year. Works amazing.
              What fluid do you use?
              Current Bikes.... 81,1230Kat, 86,GSXR1100, 86,RG500, :D
              The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED! http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/friday.gif

Comment

Working...
              X