Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed Tach. OMG Bike is fast now!

This may sound ludicrous:

Ok, so I have a 1981 GS650GL. Purrs like a kitten. Got it about a year ago. My first motorcycle ever. Love the damn thing to death, love it more than my Corvette. Tach has never worked. So today, after I did an oil change I was like 'I'm gonna fix that damn Tach if it's the last thing I do!'. So I first check the cable, naturally, cause it's the most likely problem. Well, it was the problem...little claw end that connects to the engine was off the cable end, so the cable wasn't turning. Superglued, yes Superglued, the little claw thingy back to the cable end...Viola...cable and tach work again...like a charm.

Part II of my saga:
    So I fire up the engine and pull out of the garage. I figure it'll be nice to know what my RPM's are now that the tach is fixed...here's the most important fact of my story: previously I had LISTENED to the engine and estimated my RPM's and shifted accordingly. Well, here I thought that when I had been riding the bike "hard" I was getting it to redline...you know, shifting when it started to sound really evil and "bad" for the engine...WRONG WRONG WRONG! With the tach fixed I find out that before where I thought it was REDLINING by how it SOUNDED...it was acutally only turning 4000-4500 RPM! HOLY *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$. So now I'm like well, now I've got to trust the tach and not what the bike sounds like. So I stop it on a straightaway and get ready. I drop it. I watch the tach and I redline this bitch through the first 3 gears. OMG, Jumping Jehosephat...This thing is FAST!!! I'm going 60 in 2nd gear all of a sudden and I almost *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ my pants when I nearly pop a wheelie in the process. The bike has gone from what was in my mind a slow old goat that was merely an "INTRO" to motorcycles and just fodder before I buy the crotchrocket, to something that almost made me wet myself.
    ---->forget the Vette... Forget selling this thing...I was actually gonna get rid of it and get a bigger newer bike...I thought damn this thing is slow. Oh well, I got off that thing today with the biggest *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ eating grin ever and damn near a boner when I experienced for the first time what 65hp between your legs feels like redlined at 9500 RPM. AMEN TO MOTORCYCLES. AMEN. I was hooked a year ago when I first started to ride, but now it's like falling in love all over again. MY GOD, what happens when I buy the Hayabusa???

better get some Depends :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

Get used to riding the 650 and go ride a modern liter sportbike, I used to have a Honda Hawk GT that was built for racing and I thought it was fast as lightening until I got the CBR I now have perma-grin! But keep the GS for long rides, sportbikes suck in this area!!!

Comment

I don't think I want anything faster than my old 650.These really are great old bikes.I guess that's why I have two of them.hehe

Comment

nice to clear up those odds and ends problems eh.

oh yeh....don't get an 1100.
          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Yeah. I've since taken the thing out in the boonies and done some speed/accleration "testing". Havn't taken it above 80/90 yet because the rear tire is bald...need to get a new one. Blow out at 90+ would suck royally.
            Why not an 1100? This 650 is fast, but I'm already feeling the need for more speed coming on. I'd love an older Katana, but I've got my eyes on a Bandit 600/1200 or a GSXR 600. Gotta love my old 650 though. I picked up another one for my younger brother last week in "semi-running" condition for 100 bucks.

Comment

Hehehahahah..that's awesome. That made me feel really good.
              Thanks for sharing that story dude!

Dm of mD

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingShark
                Yeah. I've since taken the thing out in the boonies and done some speed/accleration "testing". Havn't taken it above 80/90 yet because the rear tire is bald...need to get a new one. Blow out at 90+ would suck royally.
                Why not an 1100? This 650 is fast, but I'm already feeling the need for more speed coming on. I'd love an older Katana, but I've got my eyes on a Bandit 600/1200 or a GSXR 600. Gotta love my old 650 though. I picked up another one for my younger brother last week in "semi-running" condition for 100 bucks.
                "Wait'll they get a loada me." -The joker (Jack Nicholson)

You think you wet yourself on a 650GL (I got one too) then go ahead and get the GS1100E model. Jehosiphat ain't got nothin on what you're gonna do to yourself when you let that puppy rip.

There's a reason they are popular with the drag race crowd.

Comment

MY GOD, what happens when I buy the Hayabusa???
                  Forget it. If the 650 is fast for you, then that bike will be too much at this time. Enjoy your bike and stay safe.

Remeber that a fast bike dow not make you a better rider, probably the opposite. The Hayabusa, really should only be sold to expert riders.

Comment

I know I know. I'm not gonna get a Hayabusa...ANYTIME soon. I love speed, but I'm not a psycho. I've seen TANKCAM vids of 'Busas in action and it's DAMN scary. Wheelies through 140. Crazy. I'm gonna hold on to the 650 for a while. Strapped for cash at the moment. I'm busy ratting it out for all it's worth...going for the roadwarrior/streetfighter thing. Flat black, remove unnecessary parts...etc. It's still fast as heck. If I wanna go 150, I'll just hop in my Vette.

Comment

That's a good story. :-) Perhaps having the tach out of action was good for your first year of riding. And now that you've had some time in the saddle you can open it up more safely than you might have a year ago.

In another year you might feel like more power yet. Or you might say, "This is enough for what I do". Whenever I'm out riding with a bunch of mates I'm on the oldest thing around, an 81 GS1000G in amongst BMW GS's, Yammy FJR1300's, HondaST1300's and other new stuff. The latest toy is a guy who turned up last month with a Ducati Multistrada. Sometimes one of the others asks me when I'm going to update. No matter what I think at the beginning of a ride I don't have to be on the bike long before I think "I love this old girl". She cost me a top engine rebuild a year ago and is running so smoothly at the moment I can't believe it.

One of the guys rides a Kwaka 1200, the ZZR or whatever letters make it the sports model. A while ago he and I were last out of our lunch place, me behind him, and he was hanging back as the others turned onto the main road. I could see what was going to happen here as this mate is something of the group's hoon. He let the others get a long way ahead and nailed it. I was ready and nailed mine. He pulled away from me of course, but when I looked down and saw I was already doing 160 Kph and only a second or two behind him as we caught up with the others that same thought, "I love this old girl", came to me. And i resolved not to ride behind this guy last in the group again. :-)

Even a 650 can get illegal very quickly. :-)

Kim

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingShark
                        I'm gonna hold on to the 650 for a while. Strapped for cash at the moment. I'm busy ratting it out for all it's worth...going for the roadwarrior/streetfighter thing. Flat black, remove unnecessary parts...etc.
                        You'll got to show us some pic's of the beast.
                        1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                        1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                        1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                        1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                        01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

my 650GL is plenty quick for me. i've hit 140km/h briefly a few times and I know it will go much quicker I just dont like going that fast *L*

Comment

Working...
                          X