Torque plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torque plates

Does anybody measured how much difference in ovality is in GS 1100 & 1150 cylinders which are bored with or without torque plates?
    Last edited by Blower; 09-06-2014, 03:12 PM.

I, also, wonder if it would make much difference with these small bores. Hmmm.

Comment

Torque plate honing is used to correct the "wrinkles" that the cylinder head bolts impose on the bores when torqued to spec. The GS cylinders are sandwiched between the cases and the head. In my opinion you would not see any difference. Dar

Comment

I use them for Harley cylinders Never used one for my GS
        SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I'm surprised that no one has used the torque plates when boring GS 1100 or 1150 cylinders.
          Torque plates are needed when boring Harley Evo cylinders which are sandwiched between the cases and head.
          On Harley cylinders the difference on ovality is about 0.02mm ( 0.001" )
          I would expect similar changes on GS cylinders.

Comment

Smaller bores with other cylinders attached to them don't see the same distortions larger bore, single cylinder barrels do.
            Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              Smaller bores with other cylinders attached to them don't see the same distortions larger bore, single cylinder barrels do.
              Ray.
              Thanks Ray!
              What about GS 1150 cylinder block sleeved with GSX R 1127 sleeves and bored to 80 mm (1327 cc)?

Comment

Still should not be an issue.
                Ray.

Comment

I never used torque plates ,even with big bore up to 80mm I just center the crankshaft with the cylinders. Have them surfaced .005-.010 Been good so far. I don't cut a bunch at a time when cutting, I cur some let my cylinders cool, Tools cool, bore gauges, cool everything room temp. cut a small amount at a time as no too generate too much heat. My bores stay true, straight with no taper,
                  sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamDar View Post
                    Torque plate honing is used to correct the "wrinkles" that the cylinder head bolts impose on the bores when torqued to spec. The GS cylinders are sandwiched between the cases and the head. In my opinion you would not see any difference. Dar
                    I agree 100%
                    sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Working...
                    X