38mm Flatslides Too Big?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

38mm Flatslides Too Big?????

I've been looking for some 36mm flatslides or 38mm CV for my GSX1100. But some 38mm Flatslides have come up on e-bay at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
    My question is would these work well on a GSX1100 with the following mods;
    1169cc, 10.5 compression, dialled in cams (but I will be fitting hotter cams this winter, probably at the same time as better carbs), ports "cleaned up," dyna 2000 ignition and dyna coils, 36mm GSX1150 carbs, individual filters.
    With this setup the bike puts out 126BHp I use the bike on the road and for occasional track days.
    So my question is would these carbs work well on my bike, or are they too big for an engine in its current state of tune?

Your bike should be OK with the 38's. Ive got 34's on my basically stock 700 and they work great. Unless you've got the engine really singing you just have to get used to rolling the throttle on. That helps take full advantage of the accelerator pumps anyway.

Comment

I have the 38's on my 1150, albeit with aftermarket cams. They work great, and if you're planning on upgrading your cams anyway, it's the way to go.

Comment

To be sure of what to use, measure the portdiameter on the head. Std and "polished" usually around 33-33,5mm. In those cases the 38?s are overkill. If the head is ported heavily but without rebuilt bigger inlets, 36 mm should be enough if you go RS flatslides. My head is 35,5mm and that doesnt leave much material left. I?ve heard that the RS38 can be hard too run good in low and midrange but I cant verify that myself, and that the 36 and 40mm?s are better. The RS36 will hang in there up to app. 165-170rearwheel HP.

Comment

Working...
        X