GS 1150 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1150 questions

Have a line on a 1150E which has some fairly mild street mods to the motor. I was looking for a stock one but want to ask about this build. piston kit is Weisco 1198/10.25 to one, cams are drop in Web grind #167 (.310 lift/240 duration), he has the stock cams which go with the bike, valve springs are original stock, The head is stock un-ported, clutch basket is APE modified stock basket with original metal & fiber plates, cam tensioner is APE, carbs are stock with DJ jet kit and K&N pod filters. Bike has 11,323 miles and the motor was built at approx. 5450 miles according to the maintenance log the guy kept. This bike has been stored in heated space for 15 years after the owner was crippled in a car accident. Bike has no exhaust system, it was a supertrapp which he sold years ago.

1. will this motor work reasonably well with a stock exhaust system if I can find a good unblemished used one?
    2. With stock exhaust would it be best to go back to the stock air box & re-jet?
    3. What is available still in a new 4/1 baffled street pipe that will work well with this motor, not interested in a sidewinder?

With engine modifications, go with 4-1 exhaust. Going back to stock exhaust, rejetting, stock airbox etc will be a pain.

Get the best deals for Suzuki Gs1150 Exhaust at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

Comment

Find a V&H street megaphone pipe, a V&H Supersport, a Yoshimura, a Bassani, a Kerker or a Supertrap. Do NOT use a Mac!!! It is already set up for a pipe & will make GOOD power from your description! It would be a shame to choke it back to stock!!!
      Ray.

Comment

seen a guy running low 10's back in the day...through stock exhaust :0
        bike looked show room stock but after talking to him...it had quite a bit of engine work.
        pretty cool to see the #'s pop up from what appeared to be a "stock" 1150.
        dare to be different folks

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
          Find a V&H street megaphone pipe, a V&H Supersport, a Yoshimura, a Bassani, a Kerker or a Supertrap. Do NOT use a Mac!!! It is already set up for a pipe & will make GOOD power from your description! It would be a shame to choke it back to stock!!!
          Ray.
          The only pipe currently in production (except the POS MAC pipe) I can find is the V&H pro pipe. This pipe comes without a baffle but V&H says the V&H # 21257 standard baffle will fit. This appears to be a small primary tube pipe for lightly modified bikes. In your experience with the V&H street baffle is this a decent pipe for this 1198 motor???

There is a Supertrap for sale on this site for a GS 1100/1150. I had one of these on a stock motor GS 1150 in 1986 but was not aware the same pipe fit both the GS 1100 & GS 1150. Looks to me like the Supertrap baffle design is more adaptable for performance than the V&H. You have any input on the relative merits of the two pipes?

The pipe Joe Guilbeau linked to on ebay is also listed as a V&H pro pipe but looks in the photo like a completely different pipe design(sidewinder?).
          Last edited by Guest; 11-13-2014, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jstewart View Post
            The pipe Joe Guilbeau linked to on ebay is also listed as a V&H pro pipe but looks in the photo like a completely different pipe design(sidewinder?).
            The link was included for examples of the 4-1 systems.

Vance & Hines have worked for me very well.

Comment

I asked a while back about whether my Vance & Hines street pipe off my 80 GS1100 would fit my 1150 and the answer I got, I think from Ray, was it wouldn't fit but my 83 1100 Katana Bassani Superbike pipe would

Comment

all the pipes will fit(750-1150) except 83 750E/ES...some will hang lower..some closer the pan.
                but ALL will need a rear hanger made(except for pipes made for 1150's).

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Guilbeau View Post
                  The link was included for examples of the 4-1 systems.

Vance & Hines have worked for me very well.
                  Thanks for the input Joe. According to the tech line at the V&H Indy location I spoke to today V&H has not produced anything for the GS 1150 except the pro pipe for 5 years. The pro pipe shown in the link is clearly a different model than the pro pipe currently available if the picture is accurate. The linked V&H pipe pictured looks like a much more serious competition pipe than the currently produced pro pipe. Must be some left over stock still available.

Comment

The Pro Pipe is a drag race pipe. You need to look for a good, used street pipe.
                    Ray.

Comment

So will my 80 GS1100E V&H pipe work if I make a new hanger or should I just use the Bassani ? I don't mind using it but its already on another bike and the V&H isnt

Comment

Use the V&H & make a hanger.
                        Ray.

Comment

I have a V&H megaphone for an 1150 with a good baffle if you need one, left over from the one had. It's not going anywhere so if you wind up buying that one shoot me an offer and your zip code so I can figure out shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by cableguy View Post
                            I have a V&H megaphone for an 1150 with a good baffle if you need one, left over from the one had. It's not going anywhere so if you wind up buying that one shoot me an offer and your zip code so I can figure out shipping.
                            I need the can for my V&H; my rear mount broke and the can came off and I ran over it...

How much for shipping to 93101?

-x01660

Comment

Working...
                            X