Lowering rear 1980 GS750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowering rear 1980 GS750E

I know how to lower the front of the bike with the fork adjustments but what do you do with the rear end to drop bike say 1-2" inches? Should be simple but have not done it before. Thanks.

Dennis

What length are your shocks, eye to clevis? I have a 1981 750L that I want to raise up a bit, have already changed it to a 18" rear wheel.

Comment

Likely he has 13" shocks, as does your L. Or my two do at least. OP should look for a set of 12" shocks which is what I'm getting for the blue L in my sig so my lady can get on and off (that sounds bad but you get the idea lol) easier.

Comment

What you are saying is that you only have to put shorter rear shocks on to drop it down? Sounds easy to me. Will be buying sorter ones. Thanks.

Comment

Keep in mind that if you shorten the shocks, you bring reduced fender clearance into play. Make sure you have the room on full compression of the shock to go as short as you hope to.
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Have you tried the tried and true method of simply modifying the seat by contouring the top sides of the seat cushion to lower the rider instead?

Comment

Sorry boys, I should have given you more information on my plans. I am going to make this ugly, neglected, beat up bike I bought for a few hundred bucks into a cafe racer type. I want to lower it for a better stance so fender clearance is not an issue (won't have one). Second bike I will make into cafe, did a 1976 Honda CB750 into cafe racer type. Putting this GS750 back to original would blow a wad of money that never would be recovered. I have restored a 1980 Ducati Darmah to show quality, a 1970 Norton Commando that won best Norton at the BSA Clubman's show in San Jose so I have done bikes both ways. Like I said this Suzuki is a real dog that will get a new modified life. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Comment

Since you are lowering it "for a better stance", I hope you realize that your stance is going to be more-upright than normal. Lowering the bike by any means will reduce your cornering clearance, which is counter-productive to the reason why café racers exist in the first place: to go around corners quicker.

If you really insist on lowering it anyway, at least do it properly. Replace the fork springs. You can keep them the stock length, but slide them up in the clamps, as you have suggested. Good springs are available from Sonicsprings.com and also Progressive Suspension, via Z1 Enterprises. For the rear, Hagon makes a good unit that is rather affordable. Do a search for Dave Quinn, give him a call. He would rather talk to you than read a letter for answers to questions about bike, weight and riding style.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for your input. However I am only dropping the bike 1", the stock heigth is not what I want. I know all about cornering, I ride the hell out of my Yamaha FZ1, and before that a Suzuki Hayabusa until I hit a deer with it and it was totaled. I do not intend to do canyon carving with the GS or go ripping around on it, only putt around town and have fun. Have owned plenty of bikes in my 73 years. Appreciate the lead on vendors for what I am doing.

Comment

Working...
                  X