web cam grind 167 on GS 1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

web cam grind 167 on GS 1150

When doing routine valve adjustment on my restoration project 85 GS 1150 I noticed it had adjustable cam gears. The ports are stock so I had assumed this bike which has stock carbs, cam chain tensioner, air-box and exhaust was completely stock. The previous owner (only owner other than me) fessed up and said he forgot he installed a set of Web drop in .310 cams in the bike sometime in the late 1980's. The bike has 11,000 miles on it and he says no other modifications (stock valve springs and rockers, pistons, clutch) were done. Web says that hard weld rockers are required with all their GS 1150 cams. It has not been a problem with this engine so far (I pulled the cams and rockers and checked them after looking at the Web cam site). I re-installed the cams and degreed them to the Web spec centerlines of 105/107. I used the Web 340 cams with stock rockers (not hard welded) in a street 1198 motor many years ago with no problems. Anybody have an opinion on these cams and their application in an otherwise stock GS 1150?
    Last edited by Guest; 01-02-2015, 12:55 PM.

those are small and no need to worry.
    i have ran .370's with zero issue in the past on stock rockers.
    have you confirmed on the sprocket flange that these are 167's?
    they should have a worm gear on the exhaust if they are other than 1150 cams.
    web states this to cover there arse...who's gonna pay 60 bucks a rocker to have them hard welded???crazy!

Comment

The guy who sold me the bike still had the original Web timing card. That's where I got the lobe center timing 105/107 to degree the cams when I re-installed them. They were retarded 3 degrees from the Web spec. CL timing. I only got the chance to ride this bike after buying it briefly. The original 630 chain was shot as well as the shock so I never got an impression of how it ran other than below 3000 RPM. As mild as these cams are I doubt they made a big difference in performance on a otherwise stock engine although the original owner said the difference was definitely noticeable over stock cams.

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
      those are small and no need to worry.
      i have ran .370's with zero issue in the past on stock rockers.
      have you confirmed on the sprocket flange that these are 167's?
      they should have a worm gear on the exhaust if they are other than 1150 cams.
      web states this to cover there arse...who's gonna pay 60 bucks a rocker to have them hard welded???crazy!

Comment

We set them up with up to 340 lift with 42 lbs seat and stock GOOD rockers. Any higher and with 60+ lb springs, welded rockers go in.
        Speed Merchant
        http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jay View Post
          We set them up with up to 340 lift with 42 lbs seat and stock GOOD rockers. Any higher and with 60+ lb springs, welded rockers go in.
          Jay are you saying that with 340 lift cams (Web 340's) you use stock springs set for 42 lbs seat pressure? I understand about the stock rockers in GOOD condition but I thought the 340 lift cams required aftermarket heavier springs??

Comment

No, our springs at 42 lbs. #VS1100S
            Speed Merchant
            http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Working...
            X