Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers I do try my best to be a bit difernt LOL

Comment

I very much enjoyed reading this post, what a nice bike.
      Your skills are obvious and to be envied.
      Current Bikes.... 81,1230Kat, 86,GSXR1100, 86,RG500, :D
      The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED! http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/friday.gif

Comment

you do not need that much oil in the top end of a bucket engine-- and what you mentioned is called DRY BLOCKING -- when you block the oil flow from going up the rear outer head studs.

and BTW your outer oil lines are way overkill but they do not force oil where it is needed - inside the cam caps/ cam journal.

once dry block modified you need to improve oil drain down with extra holes every where top to bottom. I believe it is more effective if you have rocker arms to lube the buckets are more resilient.

My opinion - and it is based upon dyno results of my 1238cc 8v engine with and without the hi volume pump gears, hi volume ratio will make your racing engine slower. they help a street engine at idle but not at WOT -- hate to break it to you , you'll get better results using thinner oil 5w30 or synthetic 0 weight and standard oiling equipment.

parasitic hydraulic drag - also had involvement in a stock appearing Bonneville buell/Harley - and the oil pump was 50% the size of a stock one (smaller)- made almost 20 MPH difference. 159MPH with Cammlin/ Weebler's team in 07.

I'll give you permission to go ahead and tell me how stupid I am. as I laugh.

I have another question -- what did you set your valve seat pressures at with the APE springs? - might be able to help with another mistake builders overlook.
        SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

To your Q. I don't know as I gave it the the engine tuners and they set it up.
          Got some more pics for you all.

May not give lods more oil up there or it may (I was told when I first did it years back it helps mostly with the exh cams) but it looks good

Comment

did you ever notice how many different oiling kits available on the performance market for kz900/1000 and how similar they are to the GS 750/1000?

lucky to have a good shop that handles your machine work and knows how to set up a hemi.

good looking resto mod. it would be a 1 of a kind around here.

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
              you do not need that much oil in the top end of a bucket engine-- and what you mentioned is called DRY BLOCKING -- when you block the oil flow from going up the rear outer head studs.

and BTW your outer oil lines are way overkill but they do not force oil where it is needed - inside the cam caps/ cam journal.

once dry block modified you need to improve oil drain down with extra holes every where top to bottom. I believe it is more effective if you have rocker arms to lube the buckets are more resilient.

I'll give you permission to go ahead and tell me how stupid I am. as I laugh.

trip i am puzzled by this comment of yours
              "but they do not force oil where it is needed - inside the cam caps/ cam journal."

thats where the oil passage ends how can it not force oil there, please explain

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith View Post
                May not give lods more oil up there or it may (I was told when I first did it years back it helps mostly with the exh cams) but it looks good
                That it does, my friend. It most certainly does.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by ozman View Post
                  trip i am puzzled by this comment of yours
                  "but they do not force oil where it is needed - inside the cam caps/ cam journal."

thats where the oil passage ends how can it not force oil there, please explain
                  where he has tapped into the head, the oil lines are feeding the passage that feeds the buckets and the drain holes, not the feed to the cam caps. This GS motor i saw a while back has the other passage fed by oil lines, which feed the cam caps.....

Last edited by Agemax; 01-13-2015, 04:05 PM.
                  1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

IMO bucket type head are safe...near bullet proof unlike a rocker head.
                    i have seen kawi's...big HP kawi's feeding the top end but i assumed they had blocked the oiling from going up the cyl. studs and was just replacing the feed source and or had crazy seat pressures.

Comment

nicely spotted Agemax, i assumed he had tapped into the cam oil gallery , thats what 99% of top end oilers do

Comment

the oil lines are really cool.

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                        IMO bucket type head are safe...near bullet proof unlike a rocker head.
                        i have seen kawi's...big HP kawi's feeding the top end but i assumed they had blocked the oiling from going up the cyl. studs and was just replacing the feed source and or had crazy seat pressures.

bullet proof exactly! blowerbike you hit it right on the head!

cams twist at 50% of crank rpm. yeah so what. the journals are designed to share the load - don't get that much don't need that much oil.

HOWEVER buckets tops DO wear into a dish not because of lack of oil but -- seat pressure/aggressive lift/ramp design - and you got have seat pressure to get a good compression seal at redline .

if you lighten the bucket and lighten the valve and lighten the retainer that is development that gives you a return of power and longevity.

my favorite parts are always inside the engine, you can't see them -- the oil cooler and extra feeds are not necessary to maintain a high performance engine on the street.

please, you have a cool bike- I like it.

dry blocking, filter bypass, and a huge vacuum pump hooked to crankcase vents gets a bath of oil up to the rocker arms then out of the all the moving metal's way (16Vgs/gsxr need it.)

Comment

Working...
                        X