Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS 1000 engine in GSXR 1100 first gen frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small disappointment today as the bike didn't want to start?
    The fuel gets to the carbs and the spark plugs do fire?
    Could it come from the wiring of the coils?
    Midway through the project I had to swop the primary wiring of the coils in effect the coil that fires 1&4 now fires 2&3.
    If the CDI has a wasted spark shouldn't it work in any case?
    Correction: No it won't because the coils have to fire at 180° of each other.

To compound the bad day, I had ventured to fix the quad of one of my friends ( a Yamaha Bear Tracker from 2004).
    I had diagnosed a leaking intake tract and while I got a new one for 2 and 1/2 times the price one would have paid in the US, the O-ring that should go with it is unavailable ...
    Yamaha Europe spares is now closed until the 15th of January!
    Last edited by John Kat; 12-22-2015, 08:57 AM.
    sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Good news, the engine started easily once I switched the coils between cylinders 1&4 to 2&3.
      I discovered I was suffering from the R&D engineer syndrome: "We can't release the product yet as I still want to improve this or that"
      A few years earlier, I would have taken the bike for a ride but today I want to make sure everything is nice and tight.
      Not so long ago I lost the rear brake stay arm on one of my bikes and on another I lost the gear shift lever...
      In any case it's a nice Christmas present!
      sigpicJohn Kat
      My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,

Comment

Congrats on the getting the engine fired and i admire your restraint in not taking it for a short test ride.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
          Good news, the engine started easily once I switched the coils between cylinders 1&4 to 2&3.
          I discovered I was suffering from the R&D engineer syndrome: "We can't release the product yet as I still want to improve this or that"
          A few years earlier, I would have taken the bike for a ride but today I want to make sure everything is nice and tight.
          Not so long ago I lost the rear brake stay arm on one of my bikes and on another I lost the gear shift lever...
          In any case it's a nice Christmas present!
          I feel like you are calling me out by name

Comment

It sure is coming along nicely!

Comment

John, keep in mind that the triple clamp offset is extremely critical in achieving a proper and excellent handling bike. It is not something you can just mix and match! I don't believe the gsxr1100k triples have enough offset to achieve what you are going for in a vintage race bike. 95-96mm trail is a good quick turning spec with a good deal of stability still, and using 18" wheels, you will need more offset in your triples most certainly to get this kind of precise and quick handling. 17" wheels and the gsxr1100k triples would give this, but 18's generate much more trail. Before any final triple selection, measure the fully loaded bike's actual head tube rake and front tire diameter, & do some calculations. There are several places that make custom billet triples, as this is almost always the easiest way out to get very precise handling without weeks of researching triple clamp specifications.

The only way I'd think you will get really good quick steering with the 18" and 1100k triples would be if you had increased the caster to around 24 degrees rake, thus reducing trail substantially.
              '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
              '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
              '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
              '79 GS425stock
              PROJECTS:
              '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
              '77 GS550 740cc major mods
              '77 GS400 489cc racer build
              '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
              '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
                John, keep in mind that the triple clamp offset is extremely critical in achieving a proper and excellent handling bike. It is not something you can just mix and match! I don't believe the gsxr1100k triples have enough offset to achieve what you are going for in a vintage race bike. 95-96mm trail is a good quick turning spec with a good deal of stability still, and using 18" wheels, you will need more offset in your triples most certainly to get this kind of precise and quick handling. 17" wheels and the gsxr1100k triples would give this, but 18's generate much more trail. Before any final triple selection, measure the fully loaded bike's actual head tube rake and front tire diameter, & do some calculations. There are several places that make custom billet triples, as this is almost always the easiest way out to get very precise handling without weeks of researching triple clamp specifications.

The only way I'd think you will get really good quick steering with the 18" and 1100k triples would be if you had increased the caster to around 24 degrees rake, thus reducing trail substantially.
                Chuck, I'm well aware of these facts that were highlighted here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ons&highlight=
                I just bought a complete RSU R6 front fork and it looks very promising.
                First the spacing between the stanchions at 205 mm is identical to the GSXR 2nd gen fork I currently have.
                Second the fork length at 755 mm is 15 mm longer than the GSXR counterpart.
                This not important for this project but will be a godsend for a GS 1000 frame.
                Third the triple's offset at roughly 40 mm is 5 mm longer than the GSXR's.
                Worst case, I could use the R6 triples in my project to quicken the steering further.
                The unknown so far is will a GSXR wheel fit the R6 fork?
                The spindle diameter appears to be 22 mm!
                sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

The purists are going to yell but I have decided to equip the bike with a pair of lenticular lenses.
                  The main reason beeing that it should not distract too much from the racing look of the fairing as the lens itself is only 50 mm in diameter.
                  Here's what they look like:

sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Those must look weird on any bike.
                    Me thinks they might work with the frog face Katana fairing.
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Its your build, therefore proper. What the purists think is yet another opinion...
                      Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple:twistedevil:, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                      Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                      Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

The lenticular lenses are now in place.
                        The subframe supporting the lenses is rubber mounted to reduce the vibrations in the headlights.
                        On the pictures the second lens is missing as the vendor had shipped two high beams...
                        The holes in the fairing will come later when I'm absolutely sure everything lines up correctly.
                        Currently the fairing is held below the lenses up front, to the frame in front of the cylinder head and behind the cylinder head.
                        The most difficult remains to be done: getting a support on both sides of the windscreen.
                        Normally this support should also carry the rear view mirrors...

sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

"I just bought a complete RSU R6 front fork and it looks very promising."

Kinda twiddling my thumbs waiting to see how this turns out. No pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by GSYOSHI View Post
                            "I just bought a complete RSU R6 front fork and it looks very promising."

Kinda twiddling my thumbs waiting to see how this turns out. No pressure.
                            How strange, I just bought one myself
                            It will most probably be for version 2.0.
                            The only issue is that it will be difficult to fit GSXR 18" wheels ...
                            The good news is that the stanchions will slide right into the GSXR 1100 K triples!
                            sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

I like the lights. Nice to see something a bit different

Comment

At long last, I got to work on the bike this week.
                                The upper fairing stay and the rear view mirror support is now in place.
                                Next will be fitting the front lights and drilling the holes in the fairing...

sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Working...
                                X