Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS 1000 engine in GSXR 1100 first gen frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like you're neglecting some maintenance on the patio, me too.
    Busy?
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
      Looks like you're neglecting some maintenance on the patio, me too.
      Busy?
      Gardening is not one of my strongest skills...
      sigpicJohn Kat
      My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
      GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Any particular reason you went with the fiberglass fairings rather than the stock plastics? Just curious. I'm guessing weight or easier to fit the fiberglass parts.

Comment

I like seeing your bracket job, looks good.
          I'm looking at a Ducati 900SS fairing on my 1100G, but I'll have to make me own brackets too.
          Bummer is, I lose my favorite mirrors. Just for that reason, I'm stuck between the Ducati half fairing and a Cooley bucket fairing.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowFocus603 View Post
            Any particular reason you went with the fiberglass fairings rather than the stock plastics? Just curious. I'm guessing weight or easier to fit the fiberglass parts.
            The reason is simple: I didn't want the bike to look like a GSXR.
            The idea was to build a copy of the XR 41 racing bike of the 80's.
            The XR 41 with it's aluminum frame was the basis of the future GSXR 750 that came out in 1985.
            sigpicJohn Kat
            My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
              I like seeing your bracket job, looks good.
              I'm looking at a Ducati 900SS fairing on my 1100G, but I'll have to make me own brackets too.
              Bummer is, I lose my favorite mirrors. Just for that reason, I'm stuck between the Ducati half fairing and a Cooley bucket fairing.
              I don't know if the Ducati half fairing is attached to the frame or not but be aware that the Cooley fairing detracts from the front end feel of the bike.
              sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Thanks for the Cooley info, there seems to be several issues inherent to quarter fairings. The factories dropped them inside 3 years, in favor of frame mounted fairings.
                I think I read Wes Cooley did not the Cooley fairing on his race bike, said to give it a wobble at high speed.

Comment

First ride with my XR 41 Replica
                  I went out for my very first ride today.
                  It should have been yesterday but the GSXR 1100 K wiring harness has a fail safe item that shuts the engine off if yo take it off the side stand.
                  As I don't have a switch on the side stand and as the engine started easily, I thought I could have driven off with no issue.
                  In fact the engine is allowed to start as long as the gears are in neutral.
                  To get it to work quickly, I just shorted the neutral indicator to ground.
                  Now to the ride!
                  The very pleasant surprise was that the bike goes as straight as an arrow despite the fact the frame was not assembled on a jig.
                  This means that if one starts with a good frame the precision extension rails will keep the geometry intact.
                  The ride can be qualified as firm with the GSXR suspension components.
                  The platform seems very stable due to the trail induced by the front 18" wheel.
                  The position on the bike is sporty but not as extreme as an 1100 Katana.
                  Still many details to sort out but the XR 41 Replica is well born

sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

After all your hard work i bet that ride felt fantastic.
                    Nice work, John.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                      After all your hard work i bet that ride felt fantastic.
                      Nice work, John.
                      Thanks Steve!
                      It felt a little unreal for sure.
                      sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

I got a big smile from reading this and seeing pics of the bike out. Well done and congrats.
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

What Dorkberger said!!!

It looks good!

Comment

Great stuff, glad to see you got your first ride in!!

Have you got a front on shot? Interested to see how those lights turned out for you.
                            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                              Great stuff, glad to see you got your first ride in!!

Have you got a front on shot? Interested to see how those lights turned out for you.
                              Thanks!
                              I'm not too happy with the front view but on the other hand the fairing still needs to be painted.
                              The lights should be integrated with the graphics?
                              The fairing could also be lowered by approximately 20 mm?

sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
                                Thanks!
                                I'm not too happy with the front view but on the other hand the fairing still needs to be painted.
                                The lights should be integrated with the graphics?
                                The fairing could also be lowered by approximately 20 mm?
                                1st q: The graphics should hide the headlights, make it like a period race bike maybe duplicate a period bike you like without all the sponsor stickers.
                                You may have to use a black stripe/band to hide the headlights.
                                Don't even think about painting frog eyes around them, puke! Egyptian eyes? too weird but maybe you like weird.
                                2nd q: The lower lip is kinda high, but don't worry about it. The windscreen height is just right for the period of endurance racing and damn good for strong headwinds.

Comment

Working...
                                X