1980 GS1100 Oil Cooler Inquiry...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1100 Oil Cooler Inquiry...

Has anyone seen an oil filter cover like this? Would this be more effective at cooling the bike vs using the ports in the crank case to hook up a cooler? It seemed to work well the way it is.. The bike is being rebuilt right now and I will be adding a slightly bigger oil cooler vs the era specific Derale oil cooler. Any thoughts would be appreciated.. Thanks

I had one like that but it had an opening on the outlet side to feed oil to the filter. What does the engine filter area look like?

Comment

i would think the factory designed ports on the cases and an 1150 oil filter cover would be as good as it gets but that's just my opinion..no facts or comparisons to offer.

Comment

I will post a pic when I can but the filter housing in the crank case appears to be unmodified. I'd have to take some temp readings from feed to return to get an accurate temperature drop.. I've seen other threads about cooler setups and the 1100 vs 1150 filter cover.. Never seen a cover like mine. Not sure if it's custom or efficient as other setups..

Comment

This is how mine looked. You can see the opening that allows oil to the filter. I dont see how yours allows oil to the filter

Comment

I believe it just flows back into the oil filter housing...

Comment

Oh, ok, I couldnt remember what that side looked like.

Comment

Gearhead13, did you end up running your cooler off of the filter cover? Or did you end up using the crank case? Do you have any pictures so share...?

Comment

Mine was plumbed like yours when I first got it. I found it hard to change the oil filter with the header and the oil lines in the way. So I blocked the holes in the cover and got those little black adapters to go in the ports on either side of the filter plate. Then -8 an lines to the cooler.
                  The most complete metric and BSP adapter selection in the world. More added every month. If you don't see it here look in the Brake Adapters section.

Last edited by Guest; 01-23-2015, 12:47 PM.

Comment

here is the inside of an 1150 cover and how it is made.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Gearhead13 blowerbike, Thanks for the input.. Picked up an 1150 filter cover and some AN- fittings..

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                          Looks good!
                          Yeah, I had this done months ago I've just been swamped with customer bikes.. I'll have to get the fittings and lines here once I get the engine back in the frame. I need to figure out what kind of oil cooler I want to use as well. I'll post more pictures of the final product.

Comment

You just want to watch out in getting those AN fittings to clear your headers. Others have had problems before.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                              You just want to watch out in getting those AN fittings to clear your headers. Others have had problems before.
                              For sure.. I wish I was out in California to get an exhaust built by motogpwerks.. They said they could do it but they would need the bike to mock everything up. Maybe one day

Comment

Working...
                              X