Exhaust / Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust / Performance

I am about to dive into a rebuld of a 1980 850. The exhaust pipes are toasted.

Since I have to replace them will I have to change carb jets and if I have to do this are there other performance mods I should consider while I am in there.

The carbs need to be cleaned anyway and I am taking the top of the engine off to have a look at what's there.

Thanks

If you have a look at the 850 thread in my signature you'll see what I did with mine when I was faced with an exhaust replacement as you are. I went with a Jardine 4:1 and a set of APE pod filters from Pingel. I coupled this with a Dynojet kit to get the bike running perfectly. Make sure you either soak the carbs for 24 hours in something like Berryman's carb dip or run them thoroughly in a sonic cleaner. Install new o-rings in the carbs from cycleorings.com. Robert also sell the big o-rings that go under the intake manifolds which you will likely need. He also has the cap head screws to replace the soft and frustrating phillips hardware on said manifolds. Adjust valves while you have her opened up for inspection. My bike runs well, sounds great, and is stone reliable. I don't ride nearly as much as some of these guys but i racked up over a thousand miles on my bike in it's current configuration and can't wait to rack up more.

Comment

Thanks. Am going to do valves, gaskets etc but was wondering about exhaust, pods and jets.

Comment

Working...
      X