Sprocket gearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sprocket gearing

1980 750E 16 valve. Am staying with 630 set up. Stock gearing is 15T x 41T. Question is, what difference would be achieved by using rear 42T? What effect on low end and high end or would there be much change at all in performance? Thanks.

You would almost not notice the difference.

For example: at whatever road speed would have the engine turning at 4100 RPM, it would now turn 4200.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What Steve said. That said, dennisht, what might you be looking for re performance / gearing changes? Have you already purchased your 630 chain and sprockets? If you have not done so, take it from someone who waited way too long to change over to a 530 set up on 2-owned since new-1983 GS1100E's. Lots of great info re the advantages of converting from the 630 to the 530 set up.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-24-2015, 04:53 PM.

Comment

I know the weight difference in sprocket/chain size is desireable by some. Other than that and more choices of 530 products are nice. But I am building a cafe racer type bike from a very, very ugly and abused GS750 that putting back to stock form would not make financial sense. Cafe types have of course their own look and I prefer the look of the stock 630 set up, big and beefy, goes with my modifications I am making on the bike. Not looking for any great preformance changes since bike will be just used around town for fun. I have other bikes that are stock and are sport/touring types for serious riding and touring. Thanks for your input, I appreciate all the great help I get on this forum.

Comment

Working...
        X