4-1 question. Mac or V&H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4-1 question. Mac or V&H

Most likely I will change the exhaust out, the stock exhaust on this bike is absolutely pristine, almost like new. but I neeeed more sound lol. Anyway, I heard V&H headpipes you have to mess around with some of the openings to fit in the head? And how are the MAC systems? any input would be great! I'm aware a jetkit would be needed

V&H are the best bet judging by the testimonials here. Most say the MAC systems are inferior quality. Personally I avoided the fray and went with a Jardine system on my 850. Sounds great and easy to install. Make sure you spring for a new set of crush rings and install some new bolts with anti sieze on the threads going into the head. You could also install studs then clamp the exhaust flange down with nuts. Your choice.

Comment

V&h all the way! Love both of mine.
      No signature :(

Comment

MAC is junk.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Is re-jetting necessary for just a change in exhaust? On the 11s, I believe the only mod to make was removing the airbox lid.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

With a dull system like a MAC, no, but with a good system, at least minor changes in jetting are likely.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

I think I went up 2 jet sizes on my main and 1-2 on my pilot

Comment

V&H seems to be the preferred. My first GS came with a Mac, and yes the quality wasnt great. My only qualm with the V&H is that ive never liked megahpones....
                Also, dont trash the original exhaust. Keep it for later in case you want to go back to stock or if not, theres a very good chance someone here will be interested. Original exhausts are often hard to come by.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

850 exhaust from 77-81 fit? its the 12009

Comment

IL just bought MAC 4 into 1 for my '80 750E. Wanted black and cheaper cost as my bike is being made into a cafe racer type. Noticed #1 pipe not going all the way into the engine and found pipe was hitting front of pan. Can grind down a bit one of the pan fin's but am going to make sure and heat up the pipe and carefully pound on it to make the clearance. Would not be good to do this on chrome pipes. So MAC is not perfect but you get what you pay for I guess. Anybody else have problem with MAC fitting properly?? To me not enough of a problem to return pipes, just a slight inconvience. But if wanting chrome and putting on original bike I might have a problem accepting the MAC. Your choice. Oh, I plan on installing a Dynojet Stage 3 kit for the pods and exhaust. Good luck.

Comment

I had to once make clearance for steering shaft to install header on a car. I located the spot, laid an oval ax handle on it and gave it a couple of whacks. It formed a nice clean dent, and provided the needed clearance. Pipe was not heated beforehand.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Take a look at delkevic's on the Z1 website. They seem to be the way to go today

Comment

Originally posted by LarryJ View Post
                          Take a look at delkevic's on the Z1 website. They seem to be the way to go today
                          Don't have them for the 1100 yet.😔
                          No signature :(

Comment

Working...
                          X