78 GS750 - 93 Katana Mash Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS750 - 93 Katana Mash Up

I've got a 78 GS750 EC and I found a 93 Katana 750 on the local craigslist last night (link below) that is non-running but complete. I thought this Katana would be a good candidate for swapping the front-end and swingarm onto my GS. Can anyone who's done this chime in with verification that this is a good idea? My reasoning is 15 year newer brake/suspension technology as well as clip-on bars, weight savings, etc. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You need to get a 30 x 48mm bearing for the bottom of the front triple clamps, otherwise it's a bolt on front end swap (that's a fairly common bearing size, so no big deal).

I don't think you can get the Katana rear wheel into the 750 swingarm, so you will either need to use the Katana swingarm and weld some shock mounts to it, or use the alloy 1100 twin shock swingarm. Not sure if the pivot bearings / bolt size are the same across the three, so you might have to sleeve the 750 pivot bolt.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Well, if you do pick it up, I'd like to buy some bits and pieces from it. I'm doing a katana / GS650 mash up.

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far. I haven't been able to procure the Kat yet but the more I read about this swap, the more questions I have. From what I've read, the Kat front end is significantly shorter. How big of a concern is this? Also, since (I believe?) the Kat is much lighter than the GS, will the forks be too soft to support me? I'm 5'10" and 190#. I'll tell you one thing, I picked the wrong time of the year to be doing this... Sunny and 70's for the next week...

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
          I don't think you can get the Katana rear wheel into the 750 swingarm, so you will either need to use the Katana swingarm and weld some shock mounts to it, or use the alloy 1100 twin shock swingarm. Not sure if the pivot bearings / bolt size are the same across the three, so you might have to sleeve the 750 pivot bolt.
          I was thinking the Kat swingarm was a direct replacement in regards to the pivot/bolt measurements but I hadn't thought about shock mounts... Not much for welding aluminum... Anyone convert a GS to monoshock setup???

Comment

Originally posted by Old guy View Post
            Well, if you do pick it up, I'd like to buy some bits and pieces from it. I'm doing a katana / GS650 mash up.
            I'll keep that in mind...

Comment

Working...
            X