Cruise control / throttle assist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise control / throttle assist

I'm thinking about getting a cruise / throttle assist, anyone have any input on them?

There is a LOT of personal preference on this topic, but since you asked, I will offer mine.

The best is going to be the most expensive, and generally not practical on a GS. Aftermarket electronic cruise control units are available that work just like the one on your car. Get to speed, push the button, it holds that speed, up hill and down hill, modulating the throttle as necessary. Prices are in the $3-500 range, so you don't see them mentioned here very much.

The next best (in my opinion) is the Vista Universal Throttle Lock. It will take a little bit of fiddling for a nice install, and will take just a little bit of real estate from your right grip, but you won't notice it much after about the first half hour. The cost is about $35 from most vendors.
    Although it is called a throttle 'lock', you can still move the throttle to make small adjustments to go up or down hills. You will have to put in a little more effort to make that adjustment, but then you can relax your hand until the next adjustment is needes. A simple flick of a finger or thumb is all it takes to engage or disengage, it's very easy to use.

There are some that really like a paddle-type attachment that grips your right handgrip and offers an advantage in leverage by giving you a place to rest your wrist. Personally, I can't stand them, as you still have to have your hand there and held in one position. You can not reach down to scratch your right leg unless you hold the throttle with your left hand (a fun thing to learn). If I ever take a bike for a ride that has one of these on it, I will remove it for the ride, then put it back on, letting the owner know that I removed it and why. They typically cost about $10.

Others have found success with a heavy-duty o-ring that rests between the grip and the housing, but I think they are too awkward to engage and disengage when desired.

Last edited by Steve; 06-17-2015, 11:51 AM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

One of the members here put me onto this. I bought the more adjustable version. It may not be perfect, but it's a grand slam in my book.

Go Cruise Throttle Control, motorcycle cruise control and installation.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Hadn't seen that one before - very simple.

I have had several of the universal throttle locks over the years and they work great.
        ----------------------------------------------------------------
        2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

I don't find that it stays perfectly set forever, but it does two things very well. One, it lets you rest your hand for a few minutes before speed drops off much, and two, if lets you just rest your hand very lightly, even a finger or two, on the throttle when it's in place without having to hold the throttle open.
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Hmm, that's odd; I don't have any of those problems. I just select 'Cruise On' and set the speed. From there, just toggle accel/decel as desired.
            and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
            __________________________________________________ ______________________
            2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
              I don't find that it stays perfectly set forever, but it does two things very well. One, it lets you rest your hand for a few minutes before speed drops off much, and two, if lets you just rest your hand very lightly, even a finger or two, on the throttle when it's in place without having to hold the throttle open.
              I have them on all 4 of bikes. They are great until someone starts effing with them. BigD..lol
              No signature :(

Comment

I like the old lever ones. the 'new' design looks interesting but I wouldn't like that arm always raising/lowering each time I activated the throttle.
                1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
                1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
                1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

The beauty of these is you can take them off the bike in 10 seconds.
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

I have these grips on my cruiser:

As you can see they have a built in (albeit un-boltable) throttle rocker on the end. They are very comfortable on long rides.

I prefer them to the other style of cruise controls because I'm not comfortable of the idea of having the throttle "locked" or "restricted".

The good thing about the throttle rocker that you slip onto your existing grip is that it is cheap and if you don't like it you haven't wasted a lot of money trying it.
                    Current:
                    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
                    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Working...
                    X