Intake plenum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake plenum

I'm building a 1978 gs1000 drag/street bike. The air box has been removed due to frame mods. I am aware that it acts as a plenum of sorts, but was wondering if putting an aluminum plenum behind the carbs (between carbs & intake runners) joining all 4 into 1 plenum is a realistic endeavor, or if there is any performance gains to be had ? Am I off my rocker ?

So you've removed stock airfilter/airbox, why not just go with individual pod liters with as little restriction as you desire?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Between carb and heads no, before carbs in place of an air box yes. Some guys who run pods make a 5 sided box to help with crosswind issues they have with pods. Good luck and post pix.
      -Mark
      Boston, MA
      Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
      sigpic
      1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

I do have pods. What I don't understand is, the difference between having a plenum before or after the slides (or butterflies) on this type of engine. A ton of torque can be had by using a plenum between the butterflies & intake runners on other motors & also bump the HP numbers as well. Just curious & am equipped well enough to build 1... you know...mad scientist stuff. Thanks

Comment

Mad scientist , ok. ditch the 4 puny carbs and get a 4 barrel Holley on an Edelbrock manifold
          Attached Files
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Do you want low end torque or high end horsepower?
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The bike has a car rear tire, so I'm looking for bottom end torque, not to get it off the line, but to get it to pull hard thru the gears

Comment

I used the stock air plenum with the velocity stacks inside it, and completely removed the air filter case, and installed a K& N Ru-1810 in the place of the air box attached to the back of the plenum, with 36 mm carbs and a stage 3 jet kit witch I had to go up on the main jets a little .But throttle response is great and I think with Constant velocity carbs the velocity stacks help some also with low end and throttle response. The air filter is in a dead air space and I get no cross drafts like with pods. Carb bowl vents are also critical to get them into a dead air space also as not to draw no negative pressure at the bowl vents witch can cause a lean condition witch was hard to track down. I think a plenum after the carbs could possible cause negative effects. But you never know unless you try a plenum is a dead air space just attach a filter and go with it .
                sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Working...
                X