85 GS 1150 TDC timing marks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 GS 1150 TDC timing marks.

I posted this question on the 4 cylinder forum & got no response so I am going to try here. When I installed the Web 340 cams in the 1229 I am building I found the stock TDC marks were 4 degrees retarded on # 1. I always set the degree wheel initially using the stock timing marks to save time and then check the stock reading using a positive stop. Rechecked the stock TDC mark 3 times against the positive stop and got the same 4 degree retarded reading for the stock TDC mark. Checked the #4 cylinder and got identical readings. I know the serious engine builders here all set their cams either to the cam mfgs. specs or a cam timing settings they have found works which means they verify true TDC before setting the cams. Is it common to find stock Suzuki timing marks off? I used to see timing mark errors on Kawasaki J model cranks in the early 1980's this bad but I don't remember either of my 1150's being off more than 1 degree.

On that motor, with the fixed advancer, yes.
    Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
      On that motor, with the fixed advancer, yes.
      Ray.
      Thanks for the response Ray. A Dyna DDK3-2C with the 2.2 ohm grey coils and a set of Dyna DW-800 plug wires are on order which will solve the timing error problem. Slowly working my way through all the found problems and upgrades on my 1150 restoration project.

John

Comment

Working...
      X