Project: Chinese gauge set on GSX1100G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project: Chinese gauge set on GSX1100G

Both of the needles have broken off the gauges on my GSX1100G. I had added some dual-purpose gauges for oil pressure & temperature as well as volts and fuel level. My other gauges are air temperature and gear position.

After looking over the "Ali Express" site (cheap stuff made in China), I found a gauge set I liked:
    motorcycle tachometer speedometer fuel meter universal aguge

You have to get past the really bad English. This set has:
    Speed,
    RPM,
    Fuel level,
    Volts,
    Clock, and
    Gear position (GP)

It also has the normal indicator lights, and apparently a "check engine" light.

My GSX-G has been modified with a GP switch from a GS1150. It is full-size, about the same size as the stock gauges. Acewell makes great gauges, but they are tiny. The site offers buyer protection in the event the gauges are not as described. There are only limited ways to pay, such as Visa/Mastercard.

I communicated with the vendor and decided for $63 shipped it was worth a try. An identical gauge on eBay was over $100 + shipping. While it shipped within a couple of days, It will probably take a few weeks to get here.

The main drawback is the speedometer is KMH only. Putting my thinking cap on, I looked at the input parameters (number of magnets and tire circumference) and designed a spreadsheet to allow a calibration for MPH that will allow the gauge to indicate MPH. If this works as theorized, I'll post it here since it can be used for any similar gauge.

Here are some pics from the vendor's page:
    motorcycle-gaquge.jpg

I'll update as I make progress.

UPDATE
    I just realized I can't attach version 2 of the spreadsheet (Open Office format) since only PDF and graphic files can be attached. I found another way to do so via the below link, it is a zip file with the spreadsheet and instructions. Please give it a try, any constructive criticism is welcome as I tend to miss stuff I've read a few dozen times or after doing so presume someone knows something I know. The goal is to make it user-friendly for someone else that wants to do this.

EDIT
    V2 of the spreadsheet has more data fields, and it has been protected so all you have to enter are the tire specs.

Tiny Upload Link
    Last edited by Guest; 07-23-2015, 08:27 PM. Reason: Updated description

Tagging along. I've often considered ordering from alibaba or ali express but never have. Cheap prices and an interesting model that connects buyers directly with the manufacturer that could change the future of the way we do business, cutting out middle men and distributor mark ups. I just can't quite yet get over the risk factor and the site and English/grammar are pretty bad in sone cases.

That is a nice looking gauge pod and I like that it's not too modern, nor too retro. Interested in how you proceed with the kph to mph conversion as well, thanks for taking the plunge!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Is the spreadsheet anything more than this? miles/Km=1/.621371

Based on this: 1 km = 0.621371 miles

Comment

get over the risk facto I have used aliexpress dipping my toe with small purchases. It works and no billionaire guy wha towns it is going to readily let members screw it up for him.

Comment

It looks to have a volt meter, fuel gauge and gear display also. I wonder how those are hooked up? Stock wiring?

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            Is the spreadsheet anything more than this? miles/Km=1/.621371

Based on this: 1 km = 0.621371 miles
            Yes and more. I tend to over-think things, so I went the roundabout way of calculating tire sizes based upon the width & aspect ratio part (e.g. 100/90) and then adding in the rim diameter. I then used the circumference data in inches and mm and the number of pulses to determine what the gauge would expect using various numbers of magnets and the circumference, versus what the sensor would actually generate with fewer magnets. While I don't have the manual yet, if it works like the Acewell I had set up on my former Sabre, you are allowed input of the number of pulses per revolution (this is the number of magnets) and the tire circumference. From what I can tell of my new gauges, the limits are 1-12 pulses and 1,000-2,999 mm.

I found that the closest ratio when using two sets (actual vs virtual) of 1-12 magnets to the 1 mile=1.61 KM was 5 and 8 (8/5=1.6). For my GSX-G with a 110/80-18 front tire, this returned an error of -.58% at 60 MPH, or a reading of (edit, corrected the math) 59.6 MPH when you were doing 60. This is better than what most of my Suzukis read anyway (5 MPH error). I read someplace that was a result of the KPH to MPH math used in the 80's, so it makes sense.

Using a formula to calculate the ideal circumference, I was able to reduce the error to 0. I added a field so the correction circumference would be automatically generated based upon the stock tire circumference.

I just realized I can't attach version 1 of the spreadsheet (Open Office format) since only PDF and graphic files can be attached. I found another way to do so via the below link, it is a zip file with the spreadsheet and instructions. Please give it a try, any constructive criticism is welcome as I tend to miss stuff I've read a few dozen times or after doing so presume someone knows something I know. The goal is to make it user-friendly for someone else that wants to do this.

Tiny Upload Link
            Version 2 with more data fields and protected data entry.
            Last edited by Guest; 07-24-2015, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stain View Post
              It looks to have a volt meter, fuel gauge and gear display also. I wonder how those are hooked up? Stock wiring?
              The aftermarket gauges I've used in the past have allowed you to set the fuel level resistance for full and empty, most Japanese bikes are fairly similar. I expect this one will be the same.

I'm hoping it will allow direct wiring for gear position. My GSX-G has the GP switch from a GS1150 added in (easy conversion), so I have wires for 1-5. Looking at the connectors and the Chinese writing on the unit's page, that is my best guess at this point.

Comment

Hope all works well for you, I've had nothing but BAD experiances from Ali Express, mostly with returns and the way they handle comunication and correcting incorrect orders.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                  get over the risk facto I have used aliexpress dipping my toe with small purchases. It works and no billionaire guy wha towns it is going to readily let members screw it up for him.
                  Originally posted by jbird7262 View Post
                  Hope all works well for you, I've had nothing but BAD experiances from Ali Express, mostly with returns and the way they handle comunication and correcting incorrect orders.
                  It's nice to have actual good and bad user reviews on this, I don't know anyone else that's tried it so I'm still holding out, even though there are items in my cart and I get emails to come back and complete the purchase. For now I'm good on eBay or mostly Amazon due to the user reviews. My brother works at eBay and I talked to a couple of employees that work there recently about the PayPal split and reviews. They said eBay is planning to include reviews (of products, not just feedback) soon.

Curious how this gauge works out for you GS1000G Shopper, and do appreciate your work on this for posterity and the community here, keep us posted when you finally get it and how the install/conversion goes.
                  2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Curious how this gauge works out for you GS1000G Shopper, and do appreciate your work on this for posterity and the community here, keep us posted when you finally get it and how the install/conversion goes.
                    Glad to do so. I had found another one that would be a good fit on an older GS. There was conflicting info on what all it did and due to the language barrier I never got a good answer, and I see now it is no longer available. I think the one I ordered will look better on the more modern GSX.

H65-motorcycle-lcd-instrument-speed-emblly-electronic-digital-mabiao-refires-motorcycle-instrume.jpg

Link

Comment

I'll be watching with interest, those gauges sure look pretty nice in the photos.

There was a thread some time back about people buying used gauges from GSX-Rs on eBay and fitting them to their GSes. Worked well and looked good, from what I remember.
                      Charles
                      --
                      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Spreadsheet has been updated. I found that the -.58% error using magnets alone is apparently a constant. I tried several sizes of tires and it remained the same, the only thing that changed was the circumference correction figure. I have also protected the sheet so that tire data is all that can be entered. There is no password for the protection.

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                          I'll be watching with interest, those gauges sure look pretty nice in the photos.

There was a thread some time back about people buying used gauges from GSX-Rs on eBay and fitting them to their GSes. Worked well and looked good, from what I remember.
                          I have downloaded shop manuals for a bunch of bikes so I could see how they were wired. The 80's GS750ES and 1100ES were nice if dated panels that had cable-drive speedometers, oil temp gauges, and gear position indicators.

The problem with the more modern bikes for the most part is getting the speedometer sorted, most used sensors that were in the transmission and would require an expensive calibrator if you could generate a signal from the front wheel. Other functions were not as bad, nearly all of the fuel level gauges were the same or very close. As I recall, one issue with GSXR type of panels was that they had no fuel level gauge, just a warning light. I'm not going to add a panel and have less features than I had.

One of the best panels I have looked at for functions is from a Yamaha FJR1300, but it uses a proprietary speedometer drive that would require using the bike's computer.

The ZX14 has a nice panel with a lot of features as well. I can't remember why I did not look into it further, it may have been the cost or the speedometer calibration.

Comment

The gauge set arrived today. Overall it's not too bad. The main issue at this point is that the speedometer is reading 10 KMH. I guess it realizes it's going on a really fast bike! I have emailed the seller since it carries buyer protection. It may need to power cycle to reset to 0.

It is slightly different than depicted, the neutral indicator is on the tach dial. The drawback for GS use is that there is no oil pressure lamp, but seeing as how I don't need a coolant lamp I can use that instead. I will add an oil pressure/temp gauge.

It appears my math was possibly for nothing. The instructions show it does both KM and Miles.

I was able to fabricate an aluminum bracket to mount the sensor using existing threaded holes on the left front caliper bracket. The sensor only has 4 magnets, and they are too large to fit into the allen openings of the six rotor bolts. The instructions say either 2 or 4 magnets are optimum. I can use my spreadsheet to calculate my settings.

The supplied gauge mount is only 1/4" short of bolting on to the GSX-G bracket openings- the on-center part is spot on. I'll see if I can make one out of two. Worst case I can weld on a couple of short legs o I may just make my own bracket.

There are three connectors, 2x 9 pin and 1x 3 pin.

The 3 pin is the speedometer sensor:

Red: Speed signal
                            Yellow: +5V
                            Green: Sensor ground

The 9 pins are not broken down or depicted in the instructions, there is just a list of 18 wires broken down by color:
                            Black: Ignition +12V
                            Purple: Battery +12V
                            Green: Ground
                            Green/Blue: Water temp sensor (idiot light?)
                            Light Blue: Right turn +
                            Orange: Left turn +
                            Blue: High beam +
                            Brown/Red: Best guess: Check engine icon- instructions say "Electronic injection indicator"
                            Green/Red: Neutral
                            Pink: 1st gear (Yeah! I was hoping it was hardwired)
                            Blue/Red: 2nd gear
                            Green/Black: 3rd gear
                            Yellow/Red: 4th gear
                            Brown/White: 5th gear
                            Red/White: 6th gear
                            Yellow/White: Fuel gauge
                            Black/Yellow: RPM

I will post some pictures as I make progress, and I'll also try to scan the manual into a PDF (edit: it's almost 3MB and won't upload to attach).

UPDATE
                            Here are the first batch of pics, thumbnails should be clickable:
                            Gauges front

Gauges rear:

Rear cover removed:

Wiring connectors:

Speedometer sensor bracket:

Sensor bracket installed:
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-31-2015, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1000G Shopper View Post
                              The gauge arrived today. Overall it's not too bad. The main issue at this point is that the speedometer is reading 10 KMH.

It is slightly different than depicted, the neutral indicator is on the tach dial. The drawback for GS use is that there is no oil pressure lamp.

I will post some pictures as I make progress, and I'll also try to scan the manual into a PDF.
                              I suppose neither of those issues are deal breakers but that's common with similar concerns I've heard of people having had on the "Ali" sites - items not as pictured or described, and sometimes defective or with slight issues. Granted I haven't heard much actual feedback from people and some has been neutral and even positive, so I'll take the plunge eventually I'm sure.

Appreciate your work on this, can't wait to see how it turns out and what other issues or observations you have. I've got a 750 and an 850 I'd love to mount up some aftermarket gauges too someday as well. Post those pictures when you can!

Comment

Working...
                              X