Converting stock signals to led

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting stock signals to led

Dumped my gs1150 last winter and now replacing the signals with LED units. I added resistors to each branch to mimic the impedance, they light now but don't blink. What's missing?

Dump the resistors and get a flasher designed for leds- it's load insensitive, so it will flash
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I agree with tom203 that adding resistors is not the most practial way to convert, but I also have to ask, ... how did you install the resistors? If you installed them in-line with the LEDs, that is not correct. They should be installed across the power and ground leads, as if they were another bulb.

Also, simply getting a "flasher designed for LEDs" isn't quite as simple as it seems. There are different pin configurations out there, so you have to be sure that you get one that matches the pins on your connector.

Which brings up yet another factor: does your bike have self-cancelling turn signals? If it does, and you change to a different flasher, you WILL have to do some re-wiring at the connector and you will lose the self-cancel feature. One of our members is working on an adapter that will allow you to keep your self-cancel feature with LED signals, but I don't think it's ready for production yet. I have one of his prototypes for testing, and I can tell you that it works quite well. Hope he gets the production going soon for the rest of you.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        I agree with tom203 that adding resistors is not the most practial way to convert, but I also have to ask, ... how did you install the resistors? If you installed them in-line with the LEDs, that is not correct. They should be installed across the power and ground leads, as if they were another bulb.

Also, simply getting a "flasher designed for LEDs" isn't quite as simple as it seems. There are different pin configurations out there, so you have to be sure that you get one that matches the pins on your connector.

Which brings up yet another factor: does your bike have self-cancelling turn signals? If it does, and you change to a different flasher, you WILL have to do some re-wiring at the connector and you will lose the self-cancel feature. One of our members is working on an adapter that will allow you to keep your self-cancel feature with LED signals, but I don't think it's ready for production yet. I have one of his prototypes for testing, and I can tell you that it works quite well. Hope he gets the production going soon for the rest of you.

Actually I posted a simple solution anyone can do. Bottom of first page under TSCU modification
        Last edited by posplayr; 08-11-2015, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm not worried about rewiring or the type of connector. I had to cut off and redo most of the bullet connectors anyway. I'll rig up something, the big ass resistors are the toughest part. Getting them tucked away on the front with no cowling to hide stuff anymore. Guess I should have thought things through more before I stripped the old girl down. Now if I can only get my old instrument cluster to fit over my headlight I'll be laughing.

Comment

Remember that those resistors will get a bit warm when they get used.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X