Better Brakes Required!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better Brakes Required!!

Had the new Bike out, it needs way better brakes, Has a 31/27 head pro ported and 40 s on it, 1500 mtc block, ect. I have a brembo caliper on the rear but the discs are aftermarket pmfr, are there better brake discs available. My old Ducati had some amazing brakes back in 1975 bremboes. I couldnt find if brembo makes bolt on discs for such a old Japanese Bike. Any Tips Guys ? Thanx Mike

When you say you 'had the new bike out, does that mean at the track or do you ride this thing on the road?

Sounds like a lot of fun.

Comment

Look up Saltymonk's brake upgrade. Not Brembo, but it works pretty good.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

will on back.jpg

This is the salty-monk mod. It works well, even two up.

Comment

I take it down the Road. It is a Track bike though no lights (well a Velcro brake battery light on the rear carbon fibre body ) it blinks does things ha ha I think it was for a bicycle. Neighbours really hate it!!

Comment

What front brakes do you have? You didn't mention that. I never touch the rear brake on most of mine unless the track has a SHORT shutdown area.
            Ray.

Comment

Ray I have PMFR discs and grimeca caliper, Just one, Id like to put a brembo setup on it, Its too fast . We have a rough track and good brakes would really help .

Comment

Then switch to a dual disc front. There are too many people that don't have enough brake on their bike because they are trying to save weight. I can't believe the tracks that let guys run with NO rear brake set at all on their bikes! My small tire SLOW bike has dual 8" pro stock front brakes with a 10" rear rotor.
                Ray.

Comment

I will have to second the Saltymonk's brake upgrade, have it on mu Kat and took it out the other weekend after not riding it for some time and the brakes impressed me.
                  A very good upgrade.
                  Current Bikes.... 81,1230Kat, 86,GSXR1100, 86,RG500, :D
                  The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED! http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/friday.gif

Comment

Hi madmike, check out my thread- 'budget GS1000 rebuild-not!' in Projects/Rebuilds. My brakes are awesome! Kwaka 1200 320mm discs, '05 GSXR 750 rotors. What every GS1000 needs! Cheers, Adrian

Comment

That's a very nice setup - not so easy to do with the stock wheels. Are those the stock forks?
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Twin Disc Upgrade

I did a twin disc upgrade with good pads ,Still when I would brake super hard they werent very good as to my ducati with brembo brakes, Those bremboes would easily outbrake the dual disc gs 1000 I had many years ago. Anyhow too bad brembo soesnt make a bolt on type kit. They were amazing brakes PERIOD!!!Mike

Comment

Yep, forks std with Progressive Springs and emulators

Comment

I have a Ducati/Brembo caliper off of a 916. With the saltymonk mod, there was not enough clearance between the back of the caliper and the rim. His mod with steel brake lines and HH pads works very well.
                            Originally posted by madmikeracing View Post
                            I did a twin disc upgrade with good pads ,Still when I would brake super hard they werent very good as to my ducati with brembo brakes, Those bremboes would easily outbrake the dual disc gs 1000 I had many years ago. Anyhow too bad brembo soesnt make a bolt on type kit. They were amazing brakes PERIOD!!!Mike
                            Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple:twistedevil:, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                            Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                            Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Working...
                            X