for all the engine builders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for all the engine builders

do i need to use titanium retainers or are stock ok on a 4 valve 1100 head stock valve with vs 1100 s ape springs g4 cams or 370 lift webs 11 - 11.5 to 1 1260 ported head back cut on valves also any thoughts on which cams?? guides are stock have had a stock retainer break with a g3 cam dont know maybe it was just bad luck

Stock retainers are stronger than Ti. Ti is lighter though.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The Ape titanium retainers provide .030" more retainer to guide clearance than stock for high lift cams by design. If you are running stock guides (which sit taller in the head than aftermarket) you need to check your clearances. The titanium retainer keeper bores are machined for a better fit than the stamped stock ones.

Comment

I prefer the APE titanium retainers for two reasons. They allow for more retainer to valve guild seal clearance and they lighten up the valve train reducing the chance of valve float with lighter spring pressure. .370 lift cams are past my safety zone for me. If you are doing a valve job also and don't want to use the titanium retainers then have your valves cut .020 deeper in the head and shim the valve springs with APE valve spring shims to get your proper spring seat pressure.
        My stable
        84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
        85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
        88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
        98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
        90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
        06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
        00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

thanks for the help i figured with the small valve head this things not gonna rev that well, just dont want to risk breaking a retainer if its a known problem i figure 10.5 will be max rpm for this combo, and any thoughts on cam choice im wondering if the shorter duration 370 webs might work well the cam motion g3s ive got now in a 1325 seem to work ok but the long duration is keeping the compression low

Comment

Best that you upgrade the rockers while you are at it. I replaced my GS1100 rockers with GSXR items thinking that they would handle a high performance Web cam. WRONG. Get an exchange deal with APE for their hardened ones.

"to do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. Indeed, life is not measured in years alone but in achievement...." Bruce McLaren

Comment

Originally posted by gs58 View Post
              Best that you upgrade the rockers while you are at it. I replaced my GS1100 rockers with GSXR items thinking that they would handle a high performance Web cam. WRONG. Get an exchange deal with APE for their hardened ones.
              If you use hardweld cams then use hardweld rockers. If they are billet cams then use stock rockers. To get long rocker life out of your rockers do not exceed 50lbs of seat pressure on the valve springs with stainless valves and titanium retainers you only need 45lbs of seat pressure. If you don't check your seat pressure when you install higher lift cams then your beggin for problems. To little seat pressure and you get valves floating and to much seat pressure and you damage the rockers and cams. On the GS's if you use the GSXR rockers you loose .010 of cam lift. Excessive spring pressure is the main cause of rocker and cam lobe damage.

My stable
              84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
              85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
              88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
              98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
              90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
              06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
              00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Hi StretRacer did you ever get that Drag bike out to the track? How fast did it run? Mike

Comment

Working...
                X